It’s fun to see Tom Berenger loosen up and play a befuddled private eye in Love at Large. His Harry Dobbs is one of those shambling, gravel-voiced, post-Philip Marlowe clowns who are always three steps behind the case they’re supposed to be on top of. The film’s big mystery, which involves a crafty bigamist (played by the talented Ted Levine), is sly, funny, and genuinely mysterious — at least until it starts melting into yet another one of director Alan Rudolph’s lovelorn roundelays. This time, Berenger and Elizabeth Perkins are the couple who are meant for each other but, due to mysterious Rudolphian circumstances, can’t actually get together until the final scene. Rudolph remains a spry and witty original, but the line between romance and masochism in his movies is starting to grow perilously thin. B-
Love at Large It's fun to see Tom Berenger loosen up and play a befuddled private eye in Love at Large. His Harry Dobbs is one of those shambling,...Love at LargeComedy, Mystery and ThrillerAlan RudolphR It's fun to see Tom Berenger loosen up and play a befuddled private eye in Love at Large. His Harry Dobbs is one of those shambling,...1990-03-09Orion Home Video
Genre: Comedy, Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Tom Berenger, Elizabeth Perkins; Director: Alan Rudolph; Author: Alan Rudolph; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Orion Home Video
Posted March 9 1990 — 12:00 AM EST
- A$AP Rocky's 'At.Long.Last.A$AP' to drop at midnight
- Even Taylor Swift's mom thought it was 'Starbucks lovers'
- Two of B.B. King's daughters allege father was poisoned by employees
- Hear Icona Pop's new single 'Emergency'
- 'It' on hold; director Cary Fukunaga exits
- 'Jurassic World' director Colin Trevorrow dishes on deadly new dino Indominus Rex
- Drake: 'Madonna' out, 'Rihanna' in?
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Christina & Matt, Kendall Jenner, Jordin Sparks & More!