In a loosey-goosey parody of Eisenhower-era rebel movies, John Waters reworks the same gleefully synthetic early rock & roll material he sent up in Hairspray — only here the satire is muted and scattershot. There are some funny moments, but this may be the first time the director’s scabrous, anarchic wit seems vaguely depressed.
Genre: Comedy, Romance, Musical; Starring: Johnny Depp, Amy Locane, Polly Bergen, Willem Dafoe, Troy Donahue, Patricia Hearst, Joey Heatherton, Joe Dallesandro, Ricki Lake, Traci Lords, Stephen Mailer, Iggy Pop, Mink Stole, Susan Tyrrell; Director: John Waters; Author: John Waters; Release Date Wide: 04/06/1990; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): 85; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Universal
Posted April 13 1990 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'The Cosby Show' producer Tom Werner says series is 'kind of tarnished'
- Helen Mirren poses with three wax figures of herself at Madame Tussauds
- I found out 'Silk Stalkings' was on Hulu and now I can't stop watching
- Cate Blanchett and Robert Redford's 'Truth' gets October release date
- Salma Hayek on Donald Trump: 'I cannot be insulted by stupidity'
- Learn the story behind National Lampoon in 'Drunk Stoned Brilliant Dead' trailer
- 'This Is Me': Watch the Emmy-nominated docuseries right here
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Amy Poehler, Justin Theroux, Rihanna & More!