Is there anything worse than a slow, muddled, badly lit cop movie? Yes: a slow, muddled, badly lit lady-cop movie. (You get the clichés plus ersatz feminism.) In the insultingly shoddy Impulse, Theresa Russell — she of the ripe smirk and earnest-little-girl doe eyes — plays an underccver vice cop who, for reasons that have absolutely nothing to do with selling the picture, keeps donning rear-zipper miniskirts in order to catch a drug dealer. Russell once seemed a promising actress (she made a fascinating modern temptress in Bad Timing/A Sensual Obsession), but in Impulse she’s set up as both a sexpot victim and an avenging Dirty Harriet. The two pulp poses undercut each other, and Russell ends up looking ridiculous — all because she can’t pout and sneer at the same time.
Impulse Is there anything worse than a slow, muddled, badly lit cop movie? Yes: a slow, muddled, badly lit lady-cop movie. (You get the clichés plus...ImpulseDrama, Mystery and ThrillerR Is there anything worse than a slow, muddled, badly lit cop movie? Yes: a slow, muddled, badly lit lady-cop movie. (You get the clichés plus...1990-04-13
Genre: Drama, Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Jeff Fahey, Theresa Russell; MPAA Rating: R
Posted April 13 1990 — 12:00 AM EDT
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Robert Redford narrates 'National Parks Adventure' doc
- 'Silicon Valley': See the first trailer for season 3
- CW sets premiere dates for 'Containment,' 'Beauty and the Beast'
- EW Staff Picks: Which other TV shows deserve the reboot/revival treatment?
- 'Master of None' renewed for season 2, coming 2017
- 'Roots' remake gets intense first trailer
- How 'Street Fighter V' will be 'the dominant fighting game of this generation'
- Check out the new Maz Kanata 'Star Wars' action figure
- Burt Reynolds Through the Years
- 'The Walking Dead’: Exclusive EW Portraits
- Exclusive Look at 'The Walking Dead' Midseason Return
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996