It’s hard to fault someone who sings with such a burnished voice, such pointed rhythm, and such utter sincerity. Still, your attention might wander midway through this third solo album — the first since 1985 — by the former lead singer of the Doobie Brothers. McDonald worked with four producers, in styles ranging from rock to funk, covering a wider musical range than ever before. But his earnest tone rarely changes, not even when he abandons his recurrent examination of difficult but optimistic love to explore, in ”Homeboy,” why poor black kids might feel they have to join gangs. Only the five slower songs, among them the title track, rise a bit above the rest. In these McDonald’s voice sounds darker, and he seems even more earnest — which from a less honest artist might be too much of a good thing, but from McDonald actually registers as a mild but welcome change of pace.
Take It to Heart It's hard to fault someone who sings with such a burnished voice, such pointed rhythm, and such utter sincerity. Still, your attention might wander ...Take It to HeartRock It's hard to fault someone who sings with such a burnished voice, such pointed rhythm, and such utter sincerity. Still, your attention might wander ...1990-05-25
Genre: Rock; Lead Performer: Michael McDonald (Musician); Producer (group): Reprise Records
Posted May 25 1990 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Obama to honor Stephen King, Sally Field with National Medals of Arts
- Queen Elizabeth is a huge fan of 'Downton Abbey'
- You can binge all of TNT's new show 'Public Morals' — only on Labor Day weekend
- New 'Batman v Superman' pics show Wonder Woman, the Batmobile
- 'Star Wars: Aftermath': Finding Han Solo for a quick galactic run
- Kanye West sends Taylor Swift flowers after the 2015 VMAs
- Aretha Franklin blocks Telluride screening of 'Amazing Grace'
- Force Friday: See Hasbro's 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- Johnny Depp, Gabrielle Union, Karlie Kloss & More!