More than Batman or Superman, Warren Beatty’s bid to ace the summer-movie sweepstakes has been fashioned as a live-action comic strip — a lavishly eye-popping Day-Glo gangster movie. Beatty and his team of collaborators have heightened the vibrantly tawdry urban nightworld of Chester Gould’s classic comic strip: It’s as if a ’30s crime-wave melodrama had been colorized by Andy Warhol. As an exercise in American pop surrealism, the picture succeeds brilliantly, yet it also feels thin and dissociated. Beatty plays the hard-boiled Tracy as a charming, polite nothing, a Clark Kent with no Superman inside him. Overall, Dick Tracy could have used a little less color and a little more flesh and blood.
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy, Comedy, Mystery and Thriller, Action/Adventure; Starring: Warren Beatty, Glenne Headly, Charlie Korsmo, Madonna, Al Pacino, Mandy Patinkin, Dick Van Dyke, Charles Durning, William Forsythe, Glenne Headly, Dustin Hoffman, Mandy Patinkin; Director: Warren Beatty; Author: Jim Cash; Runtime (in minutes): 103; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: Buena Vista Pictures
Posted June 22 1990 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Disney eyes live-action 'Prince Charming'
- Ezra Koenig of Vampire Weekend lands own Beats 1 Radio show
- 'Sesame Street': Sonia 'Maria' Manzano's 7 favorites
- 'Hannibal': No go at Netflix, Amazon
- Caitlyn Jenner gives empowering talk in new 'I Am Cait' trailer
- Michael Eisner clarifies comment that beautiful, funny women are 'impossible to find'
- Sluggish Fourth of July box office no picnic for Hollywood
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- Kendall Jenner, Liv Tyler, Jessie J & More!