More than Batman or Superman, Warren Beatty’s bid to ace the summer-movie sweepstakes has been fashioned as a live-action comic strip — a lavishly eye-popping Day-Glo gangster movie. Beatty and his team of collaborators have heightened the vibrantly tawdry urban nightworld of Chester Gould’s classic comic strip: It’s as if a ’30s crime-wave melodrama had been colorized by Andy Warhol. As an exercise in American pop surrealism, the picture succeeds brilliantly, yet it also feels thin and dissociated. Beatty plays the hard-boiled Tracy as a charming, polite nothing, a Clark Kent with no Superman inside him. Overall, Dick Tracy could have used a little less color and a little more flesh and blood.
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy, Comedy, Mystery and Thriller, Action/Adventure; Starring: Warren Beatty, Glenne Headly, Charlie Korsmo, Madonna, Al Pacino, Mandy Patinkin, Dick Van Dyke, Charles Durning, William Forsythe, Glenne Headly, Dustin Hoffman, Mandy Patinkin; Director: Warren Beatty; Author: Jim Cash; Runtime (in minutes): 103; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: Buena Vista Pictures
Posted June 22 1990 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Doubt': 'Good Wife' actor to star opposite Katherine Heigl
- The first trans director of 'Transparent' on his experiences with the show
- Miley Cyrus reveals what a rainbow tastes like during Tumblr Q&A
- Watch Tom Bergeron discover his fancy roots on 'Who Do You Think You Are?'
- Steve Carell joins Woody Allen's next movie, replacing Bruce Willis
- 'Complications' canceled at USA
- 'No Escape' reviews: What are the critics saying?
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Céline Dion, Aaron Paul, Kate & Hayden and More!