More than Batman or Superman, Warren Beatty’s bid to ace the summer-movie sweepstakes has been fashioned as a live-action comic strip — a lavishly eye-popping Day-Glo gangster movie. Beatty and his team of collaborators have heightened the vibrantly tawdry urban nightworld of Chester Gould’s classic comic strip: It’s as if a ’30s crime-wave melodrama had been colorized by Andy Warhol. As an exercise in American pop surrealism, the picture succeeds brilliantly, yet it also feels thin and dissociated. Beatty plays the hard-boiled Tracy as a charming, polite nothing, a Clark Kent with no Superman inside him. Overall, Dick Tracy could have used a little less color and a little more flesh and blood.
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy, Comedy, Mystery and Thriller, Action/Adventure; Starring: Warren Beatty, Glenne Headly, Charlie Korsmo, Madonna, Al Pacino, Mandy Patinkin, Dick Van Dyke, Charles Durning, William Forsythe, Glenne Headly, Dustin Hoffman, Mandy Patinkin; Director: Warren Beatty; Author: Jim Cash; Runtime (in minutes): 103; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: Buena Vista Pictures
Posted June 22 1990 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Chris Brown and Jamie Foxx are just two men in love in 'You Changed Me' video
- Fox sets a premiere date for 'Empire' season 2
- Hasbo CEO hints Bumblebee could get 'Transformers' spin-off film
- Ranking the songs of summer since 1995
- 'Childrens Hospital' exclusive clip: Tony Hale and Nick Offerman are on opposite sides of a murder case
- Hear the EP from SSHH, Ringo Starr's son's electro-punk project -- exclusive
- Denver Water responds to Jay Z's 'water is free' comments
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 12 best festivals
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 12 biggest albums
- TV Season Finale Awards: YOUR 2015 winners are...
- Chris Pratt makes a splash: EW Summer Must List photos
- Bill Paxton reminisces about 15 key roles
- Cruel Intentions Reunion, Kim Kardashian, Soleil & Demi and More!