Before the development of reggae music, Bob Marley and the Wailers were Jamaica’s leading proponents of the unique Caribbean mixture of soul, calypso, and jazz known as ska. For The Birth of a Legend, 20 of the Wailers’ best early sides (previously compiled on various reissue albums) were run through an exotic new noise removal and stereo imaging system, making a wealth of fascinating music cleanly audible and widely available for the first time in decades. Besides demonstrating reggae’s immediate roots, the songs glow with the strength of young Marley’s handsome vocals. Timothy White’s detailed liner notes place the material in clear historical context, although more specific track information would have been useful. A
The Birth of a Legend (1963-66) Before the development of reggae music, Bob Marley and the Wailers were Jamaica's leading proponents of the unique Caribbean mixture of soul, calypso,...The Birth of a Legend (1963-66)Reggae/Ska, Reissues Before the development of reggae music, Bob Marley and the Wailers were Jamaica's leading proponents of the unique Caribbean mixture of soul, calypso,...1990-08-17
Genre: Reggae/Ska, Reissues; Producer (group): Epic Associated
Posted January 17 2015 — 1:02 PM EST
- Zayn Malik thanks One Direction at event
- Pixar's 'Inside Out' peek: Joy has a special job for Sadness on first day at a new school
- ACM Awards' host Luke Bryan on big stage: 'It's fun to have a touch of anxiety'
- 'Orphan Black' star Tatiana Maslany says fan love is 'like fuel for us'
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!