Howard Alden is a bright and anomalous young guitarist who plays as though Jimi Hendrix and Pat Metheny had never been born. His approach – lyric, precise, sure – is rooted in the crossroads between swing and bop, but his taste in songs is as modern as the current jazz repertory movement. It runs from James P. Johnson to Thelonious Monk, with telling side trips to the more arcane wonders of Duke Ellington, including the haunting ”Le Sucrier Velour,” from Ellington’s ”The Queen’s Suite.” The disarming, reserved quality of Alden’s solos is nicely offset by the bustle of pianist Monty Alexander (especially on a surprisingly incisive ”Sleepy Time Gal”). Still, except for ”I’m Through With Love,” which is a bit hackneyed, it’s the savvy material that raises this session above the norm.
Snowy Morning BluesHoward Alden is a bright and anomalous young guitarist who plays as though Jimi Hendrix and Pat Metheny had never been born. His approach -- lyric,...Snowy Morning BluesJazzHoward Alden is a bright and anomalous young guitarist who plays as though Jimi Hendrix and Pat Metheny had never been born. His approach -- lyric,...1990-09-07
Genre: Jazz; Lead Performer: Howard Alden; Producer (group): Concord Jazz
Posted September 7 1990 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Queen Elizabeth is a huge fan of 'Downton Abbey'
- You can binge all of TNT's new show 'Public Morals' — only on Labor Day weekend
- New 'Batman v Superman' pics show Wonder Woman, the Batmobile
- 'Star Wars: Aftermath': Finding Han Solo for a quick galactic run
- Kanye West sends Taylor Swift flowers after the 2015 VMAs
- Aretha Franklin blocks Telluride screening of 'Amazing Grace'
- Hear Charlie Puth cover Drake's 'Hotline Bling' with Kehlani
- Force Friday: See Hasbro's 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- Johnny Depp, Gabrielle Union, Karlie Kloss & More!