Murder, My Sweet was the first significant screen adaptation of one of Raymond Chandler’s Philip Marlowe novels and, though nobody realized it at the time, a ground-breaking work. As Marlowe, Dick Powell shed his male ingenue image and assumed a new identity as a Tough Guy in a Trench Coat. But more important, Murder’s doomy fatalism and highly stylized look — quirky camera angles, exaggerated shadows — virtually defined the film noir genre. Though Murder has considerable virtues, Dick Richards’ Farewell, My Lovely (a remake using Chandler’s original title) is even better. Star Robert Mitchum, with his trademark world-weariness, makes a perfect Marlowe, and his costar, green-eyed Charlotte Rampling, is the ultimate Chandleresque femme fatale. Richards has an impeccable touch with the period atmosphere, and he doesn’t have to pussyfoot around some of the sex- and-drugs story elements that the ’40s censors couldn’t handle. A-
Murder, My Sweet Murder, My Sweet was the first significant screen adaptation of one of Raymond Chandler's Philip Marlowe novels and, though nobody...Murder, My Sweet Murder, My Sweet was the first significant screen adaptation of one of Raymond Chandler's Philip Marlowe novels and, though nobody...1990-09-14
Starring: Dick Powell, Claire Trevor; Director: Edward Dmytryk
Posted September 14 1990 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Jimmy Fallon thanks Madame Tussauds for making a wax figure of Grumpy Cat
- Chris Evans on more Captain America: 'If Marvel wants me, they got me'
- Alison Brie offers unqualified dating advice on 'The Tonight Show'
- Jimmy Fallon plays 'Family Feud' on 'The Tonight Show'
- One Direction fans' Summer of Struggles: a timeline
- 'Survivor: Second Chance': Woo says he won't make same epic mistake twice
- Now's your chance to see 'Mad Max: Fury Road' in IMAX theaters
- Force Friday: See Hasbro's 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- Dakota Johnson, Keanu Reeves, Bar Refaeli & More!