While not put together quite as quickly as Dan Rather’s interview with Saddam Hussein, a video documentary on the Iraqi leader and the political background of the Persian Gulf crisis is already on video. Barely a month after Iraq’s invasion of Kuwait, Saddam Hussein — Defying the World (Strand VCI) was on its way to video stores. Gathered, edited, and manufactured in 10 days, the 30-minute documentary reveals the Arab dictator as a product of years of turbulence. Using film shot by Britain’s International Television News and footage from Iraqi TV, the video shows Westerners making oil deals, Arab nationalists protesting foreign influence, and Iraq’s eight-year war with Iran. The most disturbing scenes may be of Saddam’s forces waging chemical warfare on his country’s rebellious Kurds.
Posted September 14 1990 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Every song on Stevie Wonder's 'Songs in the Key of Life,' ranked
- Brooke Shields is returning to 'The Middle' this season
- 'High Maintenance' renewed for a second season on HBO
- YouTube stars KSI and Caspar Lee try to get 'Laid in America'
- 'The Walking Dead': Andrew Lincoln on 'terrifying' Negan
- 'This Is Us' stays strong for second episode
- Chance the Rapper to perform at the National Christmas Tree Lighting