While not put together quite as quickly as Dan Rather’s interview with Saddam Hussein, a video documentary on the Iraqi leader and the political background of the Persian Gulf crisis is already on video. Barely a month after Iraq’s invasion of Kuwait, Saddam Hussein — Defying the World (Strand VCI) was on its way to video stores. Gathered, edited, and manufactured in 10 days, the 30-minute documentary reveals the Arab dictator as a product of years of turbulence. Using film shot by Britain’s International Television News and footage from Iraqi TV, the video shows Westerners making oil deals, Arab nationalists protesting foreign influence, and Iraq’s eight-year war with Iran. The most disturbing scenes may be of Saddam’s forces waging chemical warfare on his country’s rebellious Kurds.
Posted September 14 1990 — 12:00 AM EDT
- George R.R. Martin reveals which religion inspired that 'Game of Thrones' cult
- How 50 Cent's near-fatal shooting wound up being a key part of 'Power'
- 'Game of Thrones' showrunner on why those two paths crossed now: 'this just felt right'
- 'Veep': What's next for Selina Meyer and Tom James
- Anne Meara, veteran actress and half of Stiller and Meara comedy team, dies at 85
- David Letterman tribute on Indy 500 car
- Cannes 2015: 'Dheepan' wins Palme d'Or
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!