While not put together quite as quickly as Dan Rather’s interview with Saddam Hussein, a video documentary on the Iraqi leader and the political background of the Persian Gulf crisis is already on video. Barely a month after Iraq’s invasion of Kuwait, Saddam Hussein — Defying the World (Strand VCI) was on its way to video stores. Gathered, edited, and manufactured in 10 days, the 30-minute documentary reveals the Arab dictator as a product of years of turbulence. Using film shot by Britain’s International Television News and footage from Iraqi TV, the video shows Westerners making oil deals, Arab nationalists protesting foreign influence, and Iraq’s eight-year war with Iran. The most disturbing scenes may be of Saddam’s forces waging chemical warfare on his country’s rebellious Kurds.
Posted September 14 1990 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Interracial marriage drama 'Loving' acquired by Focus Features
- Lady Gaga is getting her own 'Monster High' doll
- Melissa McCarthy hosts 'SNL': Talk about it here
- Chiwetel Ejiofor says he'll never forgive Mark from 'Love Actually'
- Hear Disney princesses sing in their original languages
- Jesse Eisenberg says Lex Luthor in 'Batman v Superman' is a modern take
- Funko shares sneak peek at 'Suicide Squad' figures at Toy Fair 2016