While not put together quite as quickly as Dan Rather’s interview with Saddam Hussein, a video documentary on the Iraqi leader and the political background of the Persian Gulf crisis is already on video. Barely a month after Iraq’s invasion of Kuwait, Saddam Hussein — Defying the World (Strand VCI) was on its way to video stores. Gathered, edited, and manufactured in 10 days, the 30-minute documentary reveals the Arab dictator as a product of years of turbulence. Using film shot by Britain’s International Television News and footage from Iraqi TV, the video shows Westerners making oil deals, Arab nationalists protesting foreign influence, and Iraq’s eight-year war with Iran. The most disturbing scenes may be of Saddam’s forces waging chemical warfare on his country’s rebellious Kurds.
Posted September 14 1990 — 12:00 AM EDT
- WATCH: Which TV character would make the best president?
- Donald Trump Reddit AMA announced for Wednesday
- Bindi Irwin honors late father on 18th birthday
- Read an excerpt from Graham Moore's 'The Last Days of Night'
- Margot Robbie: Controversial 'Vanity Fair' profile was 'really weird'
- 'High School Musical' alum Corbin Bleu gets married
- Kim Kardashian and Calvin Harris celebrate Jennifer Lopez's birthday
- 'Friends': See the Cast's Evolution Over 10 Years
- This Is What the First Lollapalooza Looked Like
- Comic-Con 2016: See Scenes From Marvel's Showcase
- Comic-Con 2016: See Portraits of Marvel Studios Stars
- Comic-Con 2016: Celebs at the Biggest Day 3 Panels
- Comic-Con 2016: Get Batty With the Cast of 'The Walking Dead'