In First Monday in October, Walter Matthau plays a crusty liberal Supreme Court justice (modeled on William O. Douglas) and Jill Clayburgh the Court’s first woman appointee, a combative conservative. This novel plot twist was rendered unnovel shortly after the movie’s release, with Sandra Day O’Connor’s appointment to the Court. The discursive, well-meaning film is notable for its rare and informative look inside the Supreme Court and the genial good humor with which it approaches one sensitive subject matter — First Amendment rights in obscenity cases. B-
First Monday in October In First Monday in October, Walter Matthau plays a crusty liberal Supreme Court justice (modeled on William O. Douglas) and Jill...First Monday in OctoberJerome LawrencePT98MR In First Monday in October, Walter Matthau plays a crusty liberal Supreme Court justice (modeled on William O. Douglas) and Jill...1990-09-21Paramount Pictures
Starring: Jill Clayburgh, Walter Matthau; Director: Ronald Neame; Author: Jerome Lawrence; Runtime (in minutes): 98; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Paramount Pictures
Posted January 17 2015 — 10:36 AM EST
- 'Survivor' host Jeff Probst on Rodney's big birthday drama
- Golden Trailer Awards 2015: The winners list
- 'Criminal Minds' finale react: Another BAU member takes their leave
- Casting Net: 'Revenge' star Emily VanCamp returns for 'Captain America: Civil War'
- Jennifer Love Hewitt not returning to 'Criminal Minds': EW exclusive
- 'Kevin Hart: What Now?' and 'Barbershop 3' given 2016 release dates
- 'Mindy Project' axed at Fox; hope at Hulu?
- Free Comic Book Day: 15 superhero must-reads
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- Chrissy & John, Reese Witherspoon, Charles Esten & More!