In First Monday in October, Walter Matthau plays a crusty liberal Supreme Court justice (modeled on William O. Douglas) and Jill Clayburgh the Court’s first woman appointee, a combative conservative. This novel plot twist was rendered unnovel shortly after the movie’s release, with Sandra Day O’Connor’s appointment to the Court. The discursive, well-meaning film is notable for its rare and informative look inside the Supreme Court and the genial good humor with which it approaches one sensitive subject matter — First Amendment rights in obscenity cases. B-
First Monday in October In First Monday in October, Walter Matthau plays a crusty liberal Supreme Court justice (modeled on William O. Douglas) and Jill...First Monday in OctoberJerome LawrencePT98MR In First Monday in October, Walter Matthau plays a crusty liberal Supreme Court justice (modeled on William O. Douglas) and Jill...1990-09-21Paramount Pictures
Starring: Jill Clayburgh, Walter Matthau; Director: Ronald Neame; Author: Jerome Lawrence; Runtime (in minutes): 98; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Paramount Pictures
Posted September 21 1990 — 12:00 AM EDT
- See President Obama's DNC intro video, narrated by Bryan Cranston
- Michael Keaton on 'Beetlejuice' sequel: 'It's possible that ship has sailed'
- 'Another Period' guest blog: Natasha Leggero, Riki Lindhome on latest episode
- 'Barely Famous': Sara, Erin Foster on celebrity stalkers, TV industry
- Lenny Kravitz asks to 'Let Love Rule' for DNC performance
- Joe Biden calls out Donald Trump's 'malarkey' in blistering speech
- Audra McDonald, Idina Menzel, Darren Criss, more sing at DNC
- 'Planet of the Apes': See the Famous Faces Behind the Makeup
- Toronto Film Festival 2016: See First Look Images From This Year's Lineup
- 'One Tree Hill': Where Are They Now?
- 'Little Miss Sunshine': Where Are They Now?
- 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child': 22 Magical Photos
- Comic-Con 2016: Celebs at the Biggest Day 4 Panels