In Purple Rain, a hokey but mesmerizing rock-video psychodrama, Prince plays the Kid, a talented musician who’s still hung up on his relationship with his brooding musician father (Clarence Williams III). The film is like East of Eden replayed as a hyperbolic rock fever dream. There are a few sour, juvenile moments, but this is the rare pop movie that works the way a great rock & roll song does: It tells a simple, almost elemental tale and uses the music to set it aflame. Prince magnetizes the camera with The Stare — a rivetingly narcissistic, come-hither gaze that’s equal parts genetics, attitude, and eyeliner. A-
Purple Rain In Purple Rain, a hokey but mesmerizing rock-video psychodrama, Prince plays the Kid, a talented musician who's still hung up on his...Purple RainMusical, DramaWilliam Blinn, Albert MagnoliR In Purple Rain, a hokey but mesmerizing rock-video psychodrama, Prince plays the Kid, a talented musician who's still hung up on his...1990-09-21Morris DayApolloniaMorris Day, ApolloniaWarner Bros.
Genre: Musical, Drama; Starring: Prince, Morris Day, Apollonia; Director: Albert Magnoli; Author: William Blinn, Albert Magnoli; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Warner Bros.
Posted September 21 1990 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'RuPaul's Drag Race' season 7 winner talks about being the 'shadiest queen'
- Robin Williams' wife, children continue to sort out issues over late actor's estate
- Icona Pop join One Direction on their U.S. tour
- Caitlyn Jenner's mom: 'She's beautiful'
- St. Vincent OK after fall off speakers
- Eddie Redmayne set for 'Fantastic Beasts'
- Justice Department ramps up its investigation of theater chains
- 18 CBS star portraits from summer/fall shows
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 12 best festivals
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 12 biggest albums
- TV Season Finale Awards: YOUR 2015 winners are...
- Chris Pratt makes a splash: EW Summer Must List photos
- Charlize & Seth, Alessandro & Bradley, Gwen Stefani and More!