Terry Sweeney knows how to get under Nancy Reagan’s skin. After all, he made his name doing impersonations of the former first lady on Saturday Night Live. Five years later he’s still turning her to his own account. Perfectly coiffed, and clad in the familiar red Adolfo suit, Sweeney peers archly from the cover of It’s Still My Turn: A Satirical Collection of Nancy Reaganesque Poetry (published by ”and books”). ”My book used to be called An Unauthorized Collection of Nancy Reagan Poetry, but the lawyers had a fit,” Sweeney confides. ”We had to give it an unsuable title.” His version of Nancy’s opinions may be slightly more litigious. Victims include Dan Quayle (”He’s young and he’s handsome/and so full of life/It’s a shame that he’s stuck/with that feminist wife”), Raisa Gorbachev, Alexander Haig, Maureen Reagan, Imelda Marcos (”The crimes of Imelda Marcos/are still a mystery to me/All that poor woman did/was go on a shopping spree”), and Kitty Kelley. Sweeney says he’s looking forward to Kelley’s forthcoming tell-all book on Nancy Reagan. ”Kitty has a way of finding out everything,” he says. ”I think the Adolfo suit’s going to be hitting the fan.”
Posted September 21 1990 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Deadmau5 says 'We Are Your Friends' flop restored his faith in music
- 'Game of Thrones' may have added a 'Lucy' actor to season 6
- Jimmy Fallon shows Elle Fanning his high school yearbook photo
- The TGIT casts united for one epic Shondaland photo
- 'The Walking Dead' star Danai Gurira on why season 6 is 'powerful and beautiful at the same time'
- There will be two Oscars hosts next year
- Kimmel read 'cryptic and menacing' death threats from the gaming community
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Diane Kruger, Padma Lakshmi, Elle Fanning & More!