West Coast jazz, the cool sound that wafted east from California in the early ’50s, may be in for a revival. The signs are apparent in the posthumous fuss over Chet Baker, who played trumpet in Gerry Mulligan’s quartet; in the Harry Connick Jr. madness; and in the general longing for melodies you can hum. The cool school faded after a few years as it lost spontaneity, but Mulligan — who is most closely identified with the West Coast movement — never really fit the pigeonhole. Even when the temperature dipped below zero, he retained his passion and individuality. On his triumphant new quartet record, Lonesome Boulevard, he offers nine new pieces, a mixture of sauntering swingers and pretty ballads, and his uniquely dulcet yet invigorating baritone sax is so songful you may fail to hear where written melody ends and improvisation starts. The writing is exceptionally polished, notably on the loping ”Lonesome Boulevard,” the wistfully swinging ”Rico Apollo,” a light-stepping homage to Thelonious Monk called ”Good Neighbor Thelonious,” and a high-powered train song, ”The Flying Scotsman.” The fastidious interplay of the quartet (baritone, piano, bass, drums) results in a sound that is unexpectedly spacious, even luxurious. A-
Lonesome Boulevard West Coast jazz, the cool sound that wafted east from California in the early '50s, may be in for a revival. The signs are apparent in the posthumous...Lonesome BoulevardJazz West Coast jazz, the cool sound that wafted east from California in the early '50s, may be in for a revival. The signs are apparent in the posthumous...1990-09-28
Genre: Jazz; Lead Performer: Gerry Mulligan; Producer (group): A&M
Posted September 28 1990 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Valiant announces event series 'Summer of 4001 A.D.'
- Robert Downey Jr. cheers on 9-year-old Iron Boy as he saves Sydney
- 'Fuller House' triple talk: Candace, Jodie, and Andrea sit down with EW
- See the cover and an excerpt from Kristen Simmons' 'Metaltown' -- exclusive
- Lauren Cohan of 'The Walking Dead' to guest-star on 'The Mindy Project'
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: See a creepy new clip from 'The Witch'
- 'Bajillion Dollar Propertie$' trailer: Adam Scott, Nick Kroll, and Paul F. Tompkins get realty
- 'The Walking Dead’: Exclusive EW Portraits
- Exclusive Look at 'The Walking Dead' Midseason Return
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996
- 'Beautiful Girls': Where Are They Now?
- 15 Musicians Who Banned Candidates From Using Their Songs