West Coast jazz, the cool sound that wafted east from California in the early ’50s, may be in for a revival. The signs are apparent in the posthumous fuss over Chet Baker, who played trumpet in Gerry Mulligan’s quartet; in the Harry Connick Jr. madness; and in the general longing for melodies you can hum. The cool school faded after a few years as it lost spontaneity, but Mulligan — who is most closely identified with the West Coast movement — never really fit the pigeonhole. Even when the temperature dipped below zero, he retained his passion and individuality. On his triumphant new quartet record, Lonesome Boulevard, he offers nine new pieces, a mixture of sauntering swingers and pretty ballads, and his uniquely dulcet yet invigorating baritone sax is so songful you may fail to hear where written melody ends and improvisation starts. The writing is exceptionally polished, notably on the loping ”Lonesome Boulevard,” the wistfully swinging ”Rico Apollo,” a light-stepping homage to Thelonious Monk called ”Good Neighbor Thelonious,” and a high-powered train song, ”The Flying Scotsman.” The fastidious interplay of the quartet (baritone, piano, bass, drums) results in a sound that is unexpectedly spacious, even luxurious. A-
Lonesome Boulevard West Coast jazz, the cool sound that wafted east from California in the early '50s, may be in for a revival. The signs are apparent in the posthumous...Lonesome BoulevardJazz West Coast jazz, the cool sound that wafted east from California in the early '50s, may be in for a revival. The signs are apparent in the posthumous...1990-09-28
Genre: Jazz; Lead Performer: Gerry Mulligan; Producer (group): A&M
Posted September 28 1990 — 12:00 AM EDT
- WATCH: How Ryan Gosling put Margaret Qualley at ease on 'Nice Guys'
- 'That '70s Show' cast reunite on the set of Netflix's 'The Ranch'
- 'Scandal' stars tour the White House ahead of Correspondents' Dinner
- Paul Rudd had a fanboy moment over 'Captain America: Civil War'
- James Gunn's parents visited the set of 'Guardians of the Galaxy 2'
- 'Captain America: Civil War' video spotlights Steve-Bucky relationship
- WATCH: Susan Sarandon & Geena Davis reunite to talk 'Thelma & Louise'
- See President Obama's Very First White House Correspondents Dinner
- 13 Times Real Pain Inspired Great Art
- Destiny's Child's Best Matching Outfits Through the Years
- 'The Simpsons': See the Voices Behind Your Favorite Characters
- All the Photos From Beyonce's 'Formation' Tour
- 40 Celebrities Who Threw Out The First Pitch