Randy Weston’s new album, Portraits of Thelonious Monk, recorded last year in Paris, is a deeply personal tribute to Monk. Weston has always favored bassists with a huge ringing sound and drummers who have a powerful backbeat, but this time he adds an African percussionist, underscoring a charged rhythmic approach to the material. It’s as though he dissected the familiar Monk themes down to their metric skeletons — on ”Well You Needn’t,” he doesn’t even state the melody until the end of the performance. Your response will depend on how much you like bass and drums, because Weston — notwithstanding a solo piano rendering of ”Off Minor” and a superb slow blues, ”Functional” — has reduced his own role to that of conductor in a four-man rhythm machine. The effort is not entirely successful, but it’s different and sometimes exhilarating. Incidentally, the liner notes say Monk was the first black musician featured on the cover of Time; not so — Louis Armstrong and Duke Ellington got there first. B
Portraits of Thelonious MonkRandy Weston's new album, Portraits of Thelonious Monk, recorded last year in Paris, is a deeply personal tribute to Monk. Weston has...Portraits of Thelonious MonkJazzRandy Weston's new album, Portraits of Thelonious Monk, recorded last year in Paris, is a deeply personal tribute to Monk. Weston has...1990-09-28
Genre: Jazz; Lead Performer: Randy Weston; Producer (group): Verve
Posted January 17 2015 — 10:36 AM EST
- Zayn Malik thanks One Direction at event
- Pixar's 'Inside Out' peek: Joy has a special job for Sadness on first day at a new school
- ACM Awards' host Luke Bryan on big stage: 'It's fun to have a touch of anxiety'
- 'Orphan Black' star Tatiana Maslany says fan love is 'like fuel for us'
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!