In certain circles, rouged pouts are getting a lot of lip service: Director David Lynch emphasized the cosmetic statement with the scarlet women of Twin Peaks and Wild at Heart: Think of Sherilyn Fenn’s red kisser, Diane Ladd’s carmine smackers, and Laura Dern’s blood-red smear. Michelle Buhler, who did the makeup for Wild, claims the look was inspired by Marilyn Monroe. ”We wanted to get the hot sexy feeling,” Buhler explains, ”from the lips that Marilyn always had.” It may have been a Marilyn impersonator who resurrected the trend. Her glossed pucker has become a signature (she sports the look again in her MTV voter-registration spot). But is it for real? Some speculate the blond one is attempting to cover up silicone injections.
Posted November 2 1990 — 12:00 AM EST
- Carly Rae Jepsen teases new album after releasing 'E·MO·TION Side B'
- 'Game of Thrones' actor Jason Momoa now has his own Guinness beer
- When are the VMAs? And other burning questions answered!
- 'Documentary Now!': Laura Bell Bundy, Lennon Parham to guest-star
- Jimmy Kimmel pranks Kanye West fans with fake new Yeezys
- Hulu Hot List: The best book-to-screen adaptations
- See an exclusive first look at 'The Life and Death of John Gotti'