Carl Perkins never scored another hit as big as 1956’s monumental ”Blue Suede Shoes,” but the Memphis singer-guitarist has kept right on rocking ever since. That song and others Perkins cut for Sun Records in the mid-’50s are already available on reissues, so this release follows his career over the subsequent 20 years. With loads of echo and lots of snappy guitar, the late-’50s songs (like ”Pink Pedal Pushers”) burn with rockabilly fever. Perkins then cools things down with a dose of gentlemanly, Johnny Cash-style country & western. Though the final third of Jive After 5 is commercial going on lame, this collection makes it clear that Perkins’ moment of glory was no fluke. B-
Jive After 5 Carl Perkins never scored another hit as big as 1956's monumental ''Blue Suede Shoes,'' but the Memphis singer-guitarist has kept right on rocking ...Jive After 5Reissues, Rock Carl Perkins never scored another hit as big as 1956's monumental ''Blue Suede Shoes,'' but the Memphis singer-guitarist has kept right on rocking ...1990-11-02
Genre: Reissues, Rock; Lead Performer: Carl Perkins
Posted January 17 2015 — 10:36 AM EST
- 'Better Call Saul' insider on THAT Jimmy-Chuck shocker
- Casting Net: Emily Blunt, John Krasinski join voice cast of 'Animal Crackers'
- Kevin Hart to receive Comedic Genius Award at MTV Movie Awards
- Weinstein Company acquires Matthew McConaughey-starring 'Gold'
- David Beckham stars in a new underwear ad... with James Corden?
- Colin Trevorrow to direct 'Book of Henry' following 'Jurassic World' release
- Michelle Obama to appear on 'The Tonight Show'
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Blake Shelton, Destiny's Child, Claire & Don and More!