Carl Perkins never scored another hit as big as 1956’s monumental ”Blue Suede Shoes,” but the Memphis singer-guitarist has kept right on rocking ever since. That song and others Perkins cut for Sun Records in the mid-’50s are already available on reissues, so this release follows his career over the subsequent 20 years. With loads of echo and lots of snappy guitar, the late-’50s songs (like ”Pink Pedal Pushers”) burn with rockabilly fever. Perkins then cools things down with a dose of gentlemanly, Johnny Cash-style country & western. Though the final third of Jive After 5 is commercial going on lame, this collection makes it clear that Perkins’ moment of glory was no fluke. B-
Jive After 5 Carl Perkins never scored another hit as big as 1956's monumental ''Blue Suede Shoes,'' but the Memphis singer-guitarist has kept right on rocking ...Jive After 5Reissues, Rock Carl Perkins never scored another hit as big as 1956's monumental ''Blue Suede Shoes,'' but the Memphis singer-guitarist has kept right on rocking ...1990-11-02
Genre: Reissues, Rock; Lead Performer: Carl Perkins
Posted November 2 1990 — 12:00 AM EST
- Now's your chance to see 'Mad Max: Fury Road' in IMAX theaters
- Obama to honor Stephen King, Sally Field with National Medals of Arts
- Queen Elizabeth is a huge fan of 'Downton Abbey'
- You can binge all of TNT's new show 'Public Morals' — only on Labor Day weekend
- New 'Batman v Superman' pics show Wonder Woman, the Batmobile
- 'Star Wars: Aftermath': Finding Han Solo for a quick galactic run
- Kanye West sends Taylor Swift flowers after the 2015 VMAs
- Force Friday: See Hasbro's 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- Johnny Depp, Gabrielle Union, Karlie Kloss & More!