The summer’s megaton hit is certain to repeat its smash performance on video. Total Recall, by director Paul Verhoeven, who made the brilliant RoboCop, is a head film for action freaks. Set in 2084, it stars Arnold Schwarzenegger (at his deadpan best) as a happily married construction worker who learns that his entire existence has been prefabricated. He journeys to Mars to reclaim his old identity and get even with the people who hijacked it. The film starts out as mind-bending futuristic satire and then turns relentless — a reckless orgy of pop nihilism and state-of-the-art slasher carnage, like a violent, post-punk version of an Indiana Jones cliff-hanger. On that level, however, it achieves total pumpitude. B+
Total Recall The summer's megaton hit is certain to repeat its smash performance on video. Total Recall, by director Paul Verhoeven, who made the...Total RecallAction/Adventure, Sci-fi and FantasyR The summer's megaton hit is certain to repeat its smash performance on video. Total Recall, by director Paul Verhoeven, who made the...1990-11-02Ronny CoxRachel TicotinSharon StoneRonny Cox, Rachel Ticotin, Sharon StoneTriStar Pictures
Genre: Action/Adventure, Sci-fi and Fantasy; Starring: Arnold Schwarzenegger, Ronny Cox, Rachel Ticotin, Sharon Stone; Director: Paul Verhoeven; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: TriStar Pictures
Posted November 2 1990 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Downton Abbey' boss breaks down season 5 finale's surprises
- 'Once Upon a Time' bosses answer burning Q's on Emma
- 'Focus' is weekend's No. 1 movie: $19.1M
- 'Walking Dead': Tovah Feldshuh on her arrival as...
- 'Walking Dead' director Greg Nicotero on 'Remember'--and the scenes we didn't see
- Margot Robbie's 'Focus' audition: 'craziest 24 hours'
- Leonard Nimoy's Mr. Spock: A tribute to the humane spirit