The summer’s megaton hit is certain to repeat its smash performance on video. Total Recall, by director Paul Verhoeven, who made the brilliant RoboCop, is a head film for action freaks. Set in 2084, it stars Arnold Schwarzenegger (at his deadpan best) as a happily married construction worker who learns that his entire existence has been prefabricated. He journeys to Mars to reclaim his old identity and get even with the people who hijacked it. The film starts out as mind-bending futuristic satire and then turns relentless — a reckless orgy of pop nihilism and state-of-the-art slasher carnage, like a violent, post-punk version of an Indiana Jones cliff-hanger. On that level, however, it achieves total pumpitude. B+
Total Recall The summer's megaton hit is certain to repeat its smash performance on video. Total Recall, by director Paul Verhoeven, who made the...Total RecallAction/Adventure, Sci-fi and FantasyR The summer's megaton hit is certain to repeat its smash performance on video. Total Recall, by director Paul Verhoeven, who made the...1990-11-02Ronny CoxRachel TicotinSharon StoneRonny Cox, Rachel Ticotin, Sharon StoneTriStar Pictures
Genre: Action/Adventure, Sci-fi and Fantasy; Starring: Arnold Schwarzenegger, Ronny Cox, Rachel Ticotin, Sharon Stone; Director: Paul Verhoeven; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: TriStar Pictures
Posted November 2 1990 — 12:00 AM EST
- New 'X-Files' promo asks, 'Are we being lied to?'
- 'Real Housewives' star Yolanda Foster and music producer David Foster are divorcing
- Morrissey wins the award for the worst sex writing
- Helen Mirren in talks to join Will Smith in 'Collateral Beauty'
- Nicholas Brendon opens up about suicide attempt on 'Dr. Phil'
- What if Peter Griffin was the voice of Chewbacca?
- John 'Cha Cha' Ciarcia, actor on 'The Sopranos,' dies at 75