Those who thought last spring’s brutal film adaptation of Last Exit to Brooklyn, Hubert Selby Jr.’s portrait of America’s urban underbelly, was disturbing had better brace themselves for Naked Lunch. William S. Burroughs’ heroin-laced 1959 novel is being brought to the screen by creep-out director David Cronenberg (Dead Ringers). ”David and I get along very well,” Burroughs (right) says. ”He’s taken the spirit of the book and joined it with his own fantastic imagination, so it’s really a hybrid.” Plus, says Burroughs, ”He shares my interest in guns and shooting.” The movie, which begins production in January, will star retired RoboCop Peter Weller. One thing’s for sure: If the film adheres to the book’s graphic, hypodermic-driven homosexual forays, it’s a prime candidate for an NC-17.
Posted November 9 1990 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Chicago Med' has two new showrunners
- Fox changes name of its new series 'The Frankenstein Code'
- Chaka Khan set for 'Dancing With the Stars'
- Why Wayne Brady freaked out at the chance to play drag queen Lola in 'Kinky Boots'
- 'American Dad!' renewed for two seasons
- Nicki Minaj will open the MTV VMAs on Sunday
- Miley Cyrus addresses Nicki Minaj's VMAs comments in new interview
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Miley Cyrus, Taylor & Selena, The Voice Crew & More!