Those who thought last spring’s brutal film adaptation of Last Exit to Brooklyn, Hubert Selby Jr.’s portrait of America’s urban underbelly, was disturbing had better brace themselves for Naked Lunch. William S. Burroughs’ heroin-laced 1959 novel is being brought to the screen by creep-out director David Cronenberg (Dead Ringers). ”David and I get along very well,” Burroughs (right) says. ”He’s taken the spirit of the book and joined it with his own fantastic imagination, so it’s really a hybrid.” Plus, says Burroughs, ”He shares my interest in guns and shooting.” The movie, which begins production in January, will star retired RoboCop Peter Weller. One thing’s for sure: If the film adheres to the book’s graphic, hypodermic-driven homosexual forays, it’s a prime candidate for an NC-17.
Posted November 9 1990 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Gilmore Girls' Fan Fest happening in town that inspired Stars Hollow
- Video Music Awards 2016: How well do you know the nominees?
- WATCH: Winter Soldier has shield envy in 'Civil War' deleted scene
- Naya Rivera reveals she had an abortion during 'Glee'
- Cher slams Donald Trump as 'f---ing idiot'
- CHVRCHES cover Calvin Harris & Rihanna's 'This Is What You Came For'
- 'Nashville' star eyes exit as premiere date confirmed
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...