Ray Sharkey (Wiseguy) stars as a crooked policeman planning a bank robbery in this annoyingly slow caper film. Sharkey’s good-guy nemesis is Lou Grant himself, Ed Asner, playing a cagey old cop. Given the people involved, this TV movie should have been terrific; Sharkey’s gang of corrupt boys in blue includes Steve Railsback (The Stunt Man) and James Keach (The Experts), and Good Cops, Bad Cops was directed by Paul Wendkos (The Taking of Flight 847: The Uli Derickson Story). But compare this to other caper films like Stanley Kubrick’s The Killing (1956) or even Jules Dassin’s 1964 comedy heist film Topkapi and you’ll immediately know what’s wrong: There’s no suspense here; the pacing is all off. We get one plodding little scene after another, but at no time is the gang’s bank-robbery strategy made clear. The result is that, when the robbery is in progress, we’re never quite sure whether things are going according to plan or not. Good Cops, Bad Cops squanders an intriguing idea. C-
Good Cops, Bad Cops Ray Sharkey (Wiseguy) stars as a crooked policeman planning a bank robbery in this annoyingly slow caper film. Sharkey's good-guy nemesis is...Good Cops, Bad CopsTV Movie, Crime, Drama12/08/1990 Ray Sharkey (Wiseguy) stars as a crooked policeman planning a bank robbery in this annoyingly slow caper film. Sharkey's good-guy nemesis is...1990-12-07
Genre: TV Movie, Crime, Drama; Starring: Ed Asner, Ray Sharkey; Series Premiere: 12/08/1990; Broadcaster: NBC; Status: In Season
Posted December 7 1990 — 12:00 AM EST
- Betty White gives 'Deadpool' four 'Golden Girls' in profanity-filled review
- Kanye West tweets about ‘The Life of Pablo’ delay
- See Justin Timberlake's cover of Bell Biv DeVoe's 'Poison'
- Can Caleb from 'Big Brother' hack it on 'Survivor'? Jeff Probst weighs in
- Which member of Destiny’s Child are you?
- 'The Walking Dead': Lennie James says Morgan-Rick rift is bigger than people realize
- Nicolas Cage to star in parental thriller 'Mom and Dad'