The 1989 album Guy established the sexy, lurching ”new jack swing” style as a commercial breakthrough. Guy…The Future builds upon this achievement. Full of potential hit singles, it’s also one of the wittiest and most well-thought-out pop albums of the year. Although producer-lead singer Teddy Riley and his teammates Damion and Aaron Hall have things to say about well, about the future, including pleas for strong black leadership, most of Guy…The Future is an uncommonly canny party record. In songs such as ”I Wanna Get With U,” ”Teddy’s Jam 2,” ”D-O-G You Out,” and the ferocious ”Gotta Be a Leader,” a curt, rhythmic groove is established early on; then time is spent working brisk variations on it, in a pop version of jazz improvisation. Guy…The Future’ is at once aggressively idiosyncratic and gloriously commercial; whenever Guy slows down the swing, the group offers ballad homages to the likes of Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, and the O’Jays. But the only time these wickedly clever musicians really drop their guard is on the final song, ”Long Gone,” a simple, quiet tribute to heroes who’ve passed away, from Sarah Vaughan to various Guy relatives. It’s a nice final touch, proving that Guy has brains, sexiness, and heart, too. A
Guy The Future The 1989 album Guy established the sexy, lurching ''new jack swing'' style as a commercial breakthrough. Guy...The Future...Guy The FutureR&B, Pop The 1989 album Guy established the sexy, lurching ''new jack swing'' style as a commercial breakthrough. Guy...The Future...1990-12-07
Genre: R&B, Pop; Producer (group): MCA
Posted January 17 2015 — 11:46 AM EST
- Sherlock co-creator: For the last time, Holmes is not gay!
- Jamie Foxx makes controversial Bruce Jenner joke at iHeartRadio Music Awards
- Play a 'Super Mario 64' level online for free
- Death threats against BBC director investigated following Jeremy Clarkson firing
- Harrison Ford released from hospital following plane crash: Report
- Chrissy Teigen, Ludacris to host Billboard Music Awards
- Deadline editor apologizes for controversial diversity in casting article
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Blake Shelton, Destiny's Child, Clare & Don and More!