The 1989 album Guy established the sexy, lurching ”new jack swing” style as a commercial breakthrough. Guy…The Future builds upon this achievement. Full of potential hit singles, it’s also one of the wittiest and most well-thought-out pop albums of the year. Although producer-lead singer Teddy Riley and his teammates Damion and Aaron Hall have things to say about well, about the future, including pleas for strong black leadership, most of Guy…The Future is an uncommonly canny party record. In songs such as ”I Wanna Get With U,” ”Teddy’s Jam 2,” ”D-O-G You Out,” and the ferocious ”Gotta Be a Leader,” a curt, rhythmic groove is established early on; then time is spent working brisk variations on it, in a pop version of jazz improvisation. Guy…The Future’ is at once aggressively idiosyncratic and gloriously commercial; whenever Guy slows down the swing, the group offers ballad homages to the likes of Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, and the O’Jays. But the only time these wickedly clever musicians really drop their guard is on the final song, ”Long Gone,” a simple, quiet tribute to heroes who’ve passed away, from Sarah Vaughan to various Guy relatives. It’s a nice final touch, proving that Guy has brains, sexiness, and heart, too. A
Guy The Future The 1989 album Guy established the sexy, lurching ''new jack swing'' style as a commercial breakthrough. Guy...The Future...Guy The FutureR&B, Pop The 1989 album Guy established the sexy, lurching ''new jack swing'' style as a commercial breakthrough. Guy...The Future...1990-12-07
Genre: R&B, Pop; Producer (group): MCA
Posted December 7 1990 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Supernatural': Jensen Ackles talks season 11's female big bad
- See the Foo Fighters rock out with Blues Traveler's John Popper
- Hootie explains how he got name-checked in 'Mo Money Mo Problems'
- 9 little-known facts about Rihanna's first album
- Faith-based drama in tight race with 'Straight Outta Compton' at box office
- Liam Payne turns 22! See his most GIF-able moments
- Venice Film Festival premiere of star-studded Martin Scorsese short canceled
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Darius Rucker, Paris Hilton, Nick & Pharrell and More!