In 1899, Kate Chopin scandalized American readers by creating an unrepentant adulteress in The Awakening, a novel that would have to wait 70 years for 20th-century feminism to give it a sympathetic audience. Kate Chopin is a welcome, if imperfect, examination of this early feminist’s spotty biographical remains. Emily Toth expertly re-creates the historical and geographic landscape of Chopin’s Missouri and Louisiana life, but gums it up with irrelevant minor characters and tedious references to surviving documents of the era. It’s also marred by a glaring omission: There is barely a mention of Chopin’s six children in the pages describing her 22 years as a single (widowed) parent and aspiring author (whose fiction was often critical of suffocating domestic ties). So we’re privy to lots of information about inconsequential people surrounding Chopin, but not the family life of this interesting novelist. Kate Chopin is an illuminating biography on many counts, but it could hardly be called an awakening. B
Kate Chopin In 1899, Kate Chopin scandalized American readers by creating an unrepentant adulteress in The Awakening, a novel that would have to wait 70...Kate ChopinNonfiction, MemoirEmily Toth In 1899, Kate Chopin scandalized American readers by creating an unrepentant adulteress in The Awakening, a novel that would have to wait 70...1990-12-07Morrow
Genre: Nonfiction, Memoir; Author: Emily Toth; Publisher: Morrow
Posted December 7 1990 — 12:00 AM EST
- Things look dark in trailer for Kristen Wiig's new movie 'Nasty Baby'
- Bill Murray earns his 20 percent in 'Rock the Kasbah' trailer
- Daniel Craig's go-to hangover cure is ...
- IFC postpones episode of 'Documentary Now!' in wake of WBDJ shooting
- Summit's new franchise hero? Julius Caesar
- 'The Walking Dead' star Lauren Cohan says season 6 is 'suffocating'
- How realistic was that 'Breaking Bad' machine gun scene?
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Alison & Will, Julianne Hough, Rafael Nadal & More!