In 1899, Kate Chopin scandalized American readers by creating an unrepentant adulteress in The Awakening, a novel that would have to wait 70 years for 20th-century feminism to give it a sympathetic audience. Kate Chopin is a welcome, if imperfect, examination of this early feminist’s spotty biographical remains. Emily Toth expertly re-creates the historical and geographic landscape of Chopin’s Missouri and Louisiana life, but gums it up with irrelevant minor characters and tedious references to surviving documents of the era. It’s also marred by a glaring omission: There is barely a mention of Chopin’s six children in the pages describing her 22 years as a single (widowed) parent and aspiring author (whose fiction was often critical of suffocating domestic ties). So we’re privy to lots of information about inconsequential people surrounding Chopin, but not the family life of this interesting novelist. Kate Chopin is an illuminating biography on many counts, but it could hardly be called an awakening. B
Kate Chopin In 1899, Kate Chopin scandalized American readers by creating an unrepentant adulteress in The Awakening, a novel that would have to wait 70...Kate ChopinNonfiction, MemoirEmily Toth In 1899, Kate Chopin scandalized American readers by creating an unrepentant adulteress in The Awakening, a novel that would have to wait 70...1990-12-07Morrow
Genre: Nonfiction, Memoir; Author: Emily Toth; Publisher: Morrow
Posted December 7 1990 — 12:00 AM EST
- See the first trailer for Michael Bay's Benghazi movie
- Did 'Scream' just reveal the killer?
- Cindy Crawford is developing NBC series about fashion in the '80s
- Chris Pine reportedly signed for 'Wonder Woman'
- 'Orange Is the New Black': What happened to Nicky Nichols?
- 'Empire' creator goes behind the scenes of 'American Crime Story'
- 'SYTYCD' mentor blog: Travis Wall talks controversial elimination
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- The Hemsworths, Eva Longoria, Tom Cruise & More!