In 1899, Kate Chopin scandalized American readers by creating an unrepentant adulteress in The Awakening, a novel that would have to wait 70 years for 20th-century feminism to give it a sympathetic audience. Kate Chopin is a welcome, if imperfect, examination of this early feminist’s spotty biographical remains. Emily Toth expertly re-creates the historical and geographic landscape of Chopin’s Missouri and Louisiana life, but gums it up with irrelevant minor characters and tedious references to surviving documents of the era. It’s also marred by a glaring omission: There is barely a mention of Chopin’s six children in the pages describing her 22 years as a single (widowed) parent and aspiring author (whose fiction was often critical of suffocating domestic ties). So we’re privy to lots of information about inconsequential people surrounding Chopin, but not the family life of this interesting novelist. Kate Chopin is an illuminating biography on many counts, but it could hardly be called an awakening. B
Kate Chopin In 1899, Kate Chopin scandalized American readers by creating an unrepentant adulteress in The Awakening, a novel that would have to wait 70...Kate ChopinNonfiction, MemoirEmily Toth In 1899, Kate Chopin scandalized American readers by creating an unrepentant adulteress in The Awakening, a novel that would have to wait 70...1990-12-07Morrow
Genre: Nonfiction, Memoir; Author: Emily Toth; Publisher: Morrow
Posted December 7 1990 — 12:00 AM EST
- Beatlemania revisited in Ron Howard's new 'Eight Days a Week' trailer
- Dee Snider releases politically charged 'We're Not Gonna Take It' acoustic video
- Michael Che and Colin Jost hand out free Trump water at DNC
- Stephen Colbert recruits John Oliver for DNC 'Fight Song' parody
- Stephen Colbert retires alter ego, introduces 'identical twin cousin'
- Cara Delevingne pranked Kesha, Haim at Taylor Swift's July 4 party
- Adele invites Adele drag impersonator on stage
- 15 Captivating International Crime Thrillers
- 'Planet of the Apes': See the Famous Faces Behind the Makeup
- Toronto Film Festival 2016: See First Look Images From This Year's Lineup
- 'One Tree Hill': Where Are They Now?
- 'Little Miss Sunshine': Where Are They Now?
- 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child': 22 Magical Photos