In 1899, Kate Chopin scandalized American readers by creating an unrepentant adulteress in The Awakening, a novel that would have to wait 70 years for 20th-century feminism to give it a sympathetic audience. Kate Chopin is a welcome, if imperfect, examination of this early feminist’s spotty biographical remains. Emily Toth expertly re-creates the historical and geographic landscape of Chopin’s Missouri and Louisiana life, but gums it up with irrelevant minor characters and tedious references to surviving documents of the era. It’s also marred by a glaring omission: There is barely a mention of Chopin’s six children in the pages describing her 22 years as a single (widowed) parent and aspiring author (whose fiction was often critical of suffocating domestic ties). So we’re privy to lots of information about inconsequential people surrounding Chopin, but not the family life of this interesting novelist. Kate Chopin is an illuminating biography on many counts, but it could hardly be called an awakening. B
Kate Chopin In 1899, Kate Chopin scandalized American readers by creating an unrepentant adulteress in The Awakening, a novel that would have to wait 70...Kate ChopinNonfiction, MemoirEmily Toth In 1899, Kate Chopin scandalized American readers by creating an unrepentant adulteress in The Awakening, a novel that would have to wait 70...1990-12-07Morrow
Genre: Nonfiction, Memoir; Author: Emily Toth; Publisher: Morrow
Posted January 17 2015 — 11:46 AM EST
- 'Walking Dead' showrunner Scott M. Gimple teases NEXT season
- 'Walking Dead' season finale: Our quick take on 'Conquer'--and yours?
- Justin Timberlake accepts iHeart Radio Innovator Award, recalls when 'they called me weird'
- 'Fear the Walking Dead': First promo's here
- 'Once Upon a Time': Inside ID of Maleficent's child
- iHeart Radio Music Awards winners are...
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Justin Theroux, Josh Gad, Kristen Stewart & More!