I’m labeled the trigger-tongue from London,” says Monie Love, a 20-year-old rapper whose first album, Down to Earth, has already put ”Monie in the Middle” at the top of the rap charts. Born in England to West Indian parents, Love first made a splash in the U.S. earlier this year with some high-velocity guest verbiage on Queen Latifah’s hit single ”Ladies First.” She auditioned for that job while hosting a music cruise on a boat off the coast of England. ”Latifah heard me in the changing room,” Love remembers. ”The boat was rocking and I was really scared.” Since then, she has worked with two other American rap acts known for their mellow, Afrocentric pop: Jungle Brothers and De La Soul. While she seems entirely fresh-faced and unaffected, Love isn’t afraid to take gambles. She’s just moved from London to Queens, N.Y., that stronghold of rap, to be part of its thriving scene. All these changes in her life are a little dazzling to Love, who was training to be a schoolteacher three years ago and has a remarkably modest view of her ability. ”I can’t sing,” she says. ”If I could sing, why, I wouldn’t be in rap.”
Posted December 7 1990 — 12:00 AM EST
- Meek Mill hits back at Drake with diss track 'Wanna Know'
- 'Graceland' postmortem: Is Paige in over her head?
- 'Wet Hot' creators provide teases for 40 characters in the prequel
- Patricia Arquette to voice witch in 'Troll: The Rise of Harry Potter Jr.'
- Caitlyn Jenner practices her 'feminine voice' in 'I Am Cait' clip
- Dwayne Johnson on Hulk Hogan's racist rant: 'We've all talked trash'
- Jared Padalecki posted his first-ever #TBT: 13 more 'Supernatural' throwbacks
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Jennifer Lopez, Brad Pitt, Candace & Lori and More!