Set in Bavaria in the mid-’70s, The Nasty Girl portraits Sonja (Lena Stolze), an intellectually precocious young housewife with time on her hands that decides to enter an essay contest by writing about what went on in her picturesque village during the Nazi era. She assumes she’ll discover that the town was full of noble resistance fighters. But, in fact, there were darker goings on, and the more she tries to dig through the local archives, the more the townspeople stymie her, shun her, and finally threaten her family with violence. Working from a true story, the German director Michael Verhoeven creates a deadpan investigative comedy in which the central joke is how obstinately everyone in town is still denying the past. Verhoeven works in a lively, offbeat style. He keeps the story spinning and throws in a welter of cinematic flourishes, such as a fake- documentary structure and scenes that are played out before surreal rear-projection backdrops. Yet after a while, a certain smugness sets in. Though the movie by no means trivializes the Holocaust, it views those who would erase the Nazi past with sophomoric disdain. The Nasty Girl is too busy spitting in their eyes to illuminate what they’re about. B
The Nasty Girl Set in Bavaria in the mid-'70s, The Nasty Girl portraits Sonja (Lena Stolze), an intellectually precocious young housewife with time...The Nasty GirlDrama, HistoricalMichael VerhoevenPT92MPG-13 Set in Bavaria in the mid-'70s, The Nasty Girl portraits Sonja (Lena Stolze), an intellectually precocious young housewife with time...1990-12-07Miramax
Genre: Drama, Historical; Starring: Lena Stolze, Michael Verhoeven, Robert Giggenbach; Director: Michael Verhoeven; Author: Michael Verhoeven; Runtime (in minutes): 92; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Miramax
Posted December 7 1990 — 12:00 AM EST
- Jimmy Kimmel breaks down the Miley Cyrus/Nicki Minaj confrontation using emojis
- New Bond author says Idris Elba is ‘too street’ to play 007
- Daniel Craig: My Bond is 'not as sexist and misogynistic' as past ones
- Simon Pegg shares behind-the-scenes 'Star Trek Beyond' outtakes
- How well can Demi Lovato & Roseanne Barr name that celebrity?
- 'Longmire' is back: See the season 4 trailer
- Chris Christie on Donald Trump: 'Life is a strange ride'
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Kendall Jenner, Jamie Dornan, Katie Holmes & More!