Adults whose frame of reference for teen idols is Frankie Avalon or the Monkees should get hip to the New Kids on the Block, who star in a pay-per-view cable concert on Dec. 7. The New Kids will be up to their usual tricks — performing catchy hip-hop pop and treacly ballads, dancing in impeccable unison. But these are teenybop kings with aesthetic curiosity and a conscience. Head Kid Donnie Wahlberg recently expressed his admiration for the dense music of rap’s Public Enemy, not exactly a fave-rave act among the New Kids’ predominantly white, female audience. And the Kids took time out from merchandising themselves to give benefit concerts on Oct. 12 and 13 for a worthy if low-profile cause, Amnesty International’s efforts in Chile. It seems as if the New Kids are the thinking girl’s teen dreams.
Posted December 7 1990 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Empire' star Jussie Smollett on the power of Jamal's coming-out
- 'Focus' aims to lift box office crown from 'Fifty Shades of Grey'
- Bruce Willis indie-thriller 'Wake' halts production due to lack of funding
- Skrillex hints a midnight Jack U album release
- 'How to Get Away with Murder' creator on season 1 success, season 2 ideas
- Catwoman comes out as bisexual in comic
- 'How to Get Away with Murder' creator on that killer finale and what's next
- 'Empire': New EW cast portraits and behind-the-scenes photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Sizing up the season 20 cast
- 'Parks' 2017: What we embrace/dread in world of tomorrow
- Oscars 2015: EW exclusive rehearsal photos
- Oscars 2015 backstage: EW all-access photo pass
- Taylor, Rita & Orlando, Amanda and More!