In 1988, the exuberant L.A. hip-hop women of J.J. Fad percolated their way to the top 30 with an annoyingly cute kiddie-novelty called ”Supersonic.” On their second album, Not Just A Fad determined not to wind up as one-hit wonders, they rap furious but friendly over backing tracks ranging from heavy metal to house music. The trio’s rhyme can seem rote at times, but their spirit hardly ever does. They’re feminist enough to defend themselves against rude suitors, but they’re also unpretentious enough to question rap’s trendy preoccupation with its African roots. The live-sounding blues guitar, the sampled radio commercials (”Biogenetic engineering tomorrow — today”), and the druggy way the tempo slows almost to a standstill might well be the brainstorms of producer D.J. Yella (from the gangster-rap group NWA), but these ladies are beginning to take control. Surprisingly enough, J.J. Fad has a future. B+
Not Just a Fad In 1988, the exuberant L.A. hip-hop women of J.J. Fad percolated their way to the top 30 with an annoyingly cute kiddie-novelty called ''Supersonic.''...Not Just a FadPop, R&B, Hip-Hop/Rap In 1988, the exuberant L.A. hip-hop women of J.J. Fad percolated their way to the top 30 with an annoyingly cute kiddie-novelty called ''Supersonic.''...1990-12-07
Genre: Pop, R&B, Hip-Hop/Rap; Producer (person): D.J. Yella; Producer (group): Atco
Posted December 7 1990 — 12:00 AM EST
- Disney eyes live-action 'Prince Charming'
- Ezra Koenig of Vampire Weekend lands own Beats 1 Radio show
- 'Sesame Street': Sonia 'Maria' Manzano's 7 favorites
- 'Hannibal': No go at Netflix, Amazon
- Caitlyn Jenner gives empowering talk in new 'I Am Cait' trailer
- Michael Eisner clarifies comment that beautiful, funny women are 'impossible to find'
- Sluggish Fourth of July box office no picnic for Hollywood
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- Kendall Jenner, Liv Tyler, Jessie J & More!