In 1988, the exuberant L.A. hip-hop women of J.J. Fad percolated their way to the top 30 with an annoyingly cute kiddie-novelty called ”Supersonic.” On their second album, Not Just A Fad determined not to wind up as one-hit wonders, they rap furious but friendly over backing tracks ranging from heavy metal to house music. The trio’s rhyme can seem rote at times, but their spirit hardly ever does. They’re feminist enough to defend themselves against rude suitors, but they’re also unpretentious enough to question rap’s trendy preoccupation with its African roots. The live-sounding blues guitar, the sampled radio commercials (”Biogenetic engineering tomorrow — today”), and the druggy way the tempo slows almost to a standstill might well be the brainstorms of producer D.J. Yella (from the gangster-rap group NWA), but these ladies are beginning to take control. Surprisingly enough, J.J. Fad has a future. B+
Not Just a Fad In 1988, the exuberant L.A. hip-hop women of J.J. Fad percolated their way to the top 30 with an annoyingly cute kiddie-novelty called ''Supersonic.''...Not Just a FadPop, R&B, Hip-Hop/Rap In 1988, the exuberant L.A. hip-hop women of J.J. Fad percolated their way to the top 30 with an annoyingly cute kiddie-novelty called ''Supersonic.''...1990-12-07
Genre: Pop, R&B, Hip-Hop/Rap; Producer (person): D.J. Yella; Producer (group): Atco
Posted December 7 1990 — 12:00 AM EST
- Caitlyn Jenner explains how her views on marriage equality have evolved
- Ed Burns was super nervous his first day working with Tom Hanks on 'Saving Private Ryan'
- Blue Ivy dedicates Disney favorite to mom Beyoncé on her birthday
- Spoiler Room: Scoop on 'Grey's Anatomy,' 'Murder,' 'Scandal' & more
- The music we loved this week
- 'Game of Thrones' casts Samwell Tarly's brother
- Idris Elba prepares child soldiers for war in 'Beasts of No Nation' trailer
- Force Friday: See Hasbro's 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- Johnny Depp, Gabrielle Union, Karlie Kloss & More!