Just before Out From Under was published, two of the performance artists whose monologues are found here were denied funding from the now-squeamish National Endowment for the Arts. What’s ironic is that the women — Holly Hughes and Karen Finley — give the two best-written and most astonishing ”performances” in the book. Elsewhere, the volume is uneven. Laurie Anderson’s seven-hour piece, United States, is reduced to five pages to little avail. Other works simply lose force on the way from the stage to the page. Out From Under makes some important points, though: that performance artists can live without the NEA but that they shouldn’t have to, and that even the most polemical pieces are far more than confrontation for confrontation’s sake. ”So I took too many sleeping pills and nothing happened,” Finley tells us. ”So I worked for ERA, voted for Jesse Jackson and nothing happened…So I petitioned, rioted, terrorized, and organized and something is going to happen.” A-
Out From Under Just before Out From Under was published, two of the performance artists whose monologues are found here were denied funding from the ...Out From UnderNonfiction, TheaterLenora Champagne Just before Out From Under was published, two of the performance artists whose monologues are found here were denied funding from the ...1990-12-07
Genre: Nonfiction, Theater; Author: Lenora Champagne
Posted December 7 1990 — 12:00 AM EST
- Wes Craven's 5 most twistedly influential films
- A$AP Rocky brings 'L$D' to the VMAs
- Celebrity reactions to Kanye West's MTV VMAs speech
- Miley Cyrus announces new album during VMAs performance
- 'Bad Blood' wins Video of the Year at the MTV VMAs
- The most GIF-able moments from this year's MTV VMAs
- 'I Am Cait' recap: 'The Dating Game'
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Khloé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!