LeVert’s fourth album, Rope a Dope Style, is pleasingly schizophrenic. The trio — brothers Gerald and Sean Levert plus Marc Gordon — alternates between sexy funk grooves and dreamily romantic ballads. These two styles derive from a pair of profound influences: Gerald and Sean are the sons of Eddie Levert, a founding member of Philly Soul masters the O’Jays. The ballads here owe much to the O’Jays’ tough-but-tender style of crooning. LeVert’s funk, by contrast, suggests a thorough knowledge of George Clinton’s work over the past two decades. On its best songs, LeVert makes these disparate influences its own. B+
Rope a Dope Style LeVert's fourth album, Rope a Dope Style, is pleasingly schizophrenic. The trio — brothers Gerald and Sean Levert plus Marc...Rope a Dope StylePop, R&B LeVert's fourth album, Rope a Dope Style, is pleasingly schizophrenic. The trio — brothers Gerald and Sean Levert plus Marc...1990-12-07
Genre: Pop, R&B; Producer (group): Atlantic
Posted December 7 1990 — 12:00 AM EST
- President Obama and Vice head to prison in 'Fixing the System' trailer
- Chris Messina in talks to play Ben Affleck's best friend in 'Live By Night'
- 'Minions' clears $1 billion at the worldwide box office
- Justin Bieber to spend several mornings with you on the 'Today' show
- 'Doubt': 'Good Wife' actor to star opposite Katherine Heigl
- The first trans director of 'Transparent' on his experiences with the show
- Miley Cyrus reveals what a rainbow tastes like during Tumblr Q&A
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Céline Dion, Aaron Paul, Kate & Hayden and More!