Surface’s music is so melodious and peaceful that the trio’s fans claim that it can work miracles — like the time a 14-year-old girl awoke from a coma (yes, this really happened) after her mother played ”Shower Me With Your Love,” her favorite song from the group’s 1989 million-selling album, 2nd Wave. Or, more believably, couples take Surface’s tapes into the delivery room to ease the pains of childbirth. Surface’s third album, 3 Deep, may not change your life, but it will wrap you in a fuzzy blanket of soothing vocals. To say this trio is ”in love with love” is either a cliché or a revelation, depending on how you react to lyrics like these from the new album’s initial single, ”The First Time”: ”You know I won’t forget/the times we shared holding hands/And walking in the park/Sometime we’ll have to do it all again.” Surface won’t challenge you with such effusiveness, or with their rich, cushiony R&B production. But you can’t go wrong here if you just want to relax and dream. B+
3 Deep Surface's music is so melodious and peaceful that the trio's fans claim that it can work miracles — like the time a 14-year-old girl awoke from...3 Deep Surface's music is so melodious and peaceful that the trio's fans claim that it can work miracles — like the time a 14-year-old girl awoke from...1990-12-14
Posted December 14 1990 — 12:00 AM EST
- Robin Williams' widow pens essay about his brain disorder
- Former 'Power Rangers' star denies killing his roommate with a sword
- Watch Britney Spears sing Taylor Swift's 'Shake It Off' on helium
- 'Once Upon a Time': Is there hope for Belle and Rumple?
- Colin Trevorrow: 'Jurassic World 2' will be 'suspenseful and scary'
- NBC scraps 'Mail Order Family' comedy after backlash
- 'Stranger Things' is even stranger in 8-bit animated remake