As founder and emcee of the legendary Amateur Night at the Apollo Theatre, Ralph Cooper has been pushing jittery unknowns onstage for the past 50 years, and stars from Ella Fitzgerald to Luther Vandross have found their calling at his prodding. Cooper’s life away from the Apollo has been equally adventurous: He was one of the only black men to travel the white vaudeville circuit in the ’30s; he spent five years acting and directing in Hollywood, where he was dubbed ”Dark Gable”; he worked as a human rights arbitrator under New York Governor Nelson Rockefeller in the ’60s. Unfortunately, Amateur Night at the Apollo: Ralph Cooper Presents Five Decades of Great Entertainment doesn’t do his story justice. As a pivotal figure in American pop culture and black history, Cooper deserves better. D
Amateur Night at the Apollo As founder and emcee of the legendary Amateur Night at the Apollo Theatre, Ralph Cooper has been pushing jittery unknowns onstage for the past 50...Amateur Night at the ApolloNonfiction, MusicRalph Cooper, Steve Dougherty As founder and emcee of the legendary Amateur Night at the Apollo Theatre, Ralph Cooper has been pushing jittery unknowns onstage for the past 50...1990-12-14HarperCollins
Genre: Nonfiction, Music; Author: Ralph Cooper, Steve Dougherty; Publisher: HarperCollins
Posted January 17 2015 — 11:46 AM EST
- 'Outlander' boss Ronald Moore talks Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Orphan Black' creators on series' sexy, surreal return
- Tatiana Maslany on 'Orphan Black' return, and 'totally changing up what people were going to expect'
- Jonathan Crombie, seen as Gilbert Blythe in 'Anne of Green Gables' films, dies at 48
- Johnny Kemp, 'Just Got Paid' singer, dies
- Star Wars Celebration: Jakku, BB-8 and other key takeaways about 'The Force Awakens'
- Two generations of heroes meet in new 'Star Wars Rebels' trailer
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!