As founder and emcee of the legendary Amateur Night at the Apollo Theatre, Ralph Cooper has been pushing jittery unknowns onstage for the past 50 years, and stars from Ella Fitzgerald to Luther Vandross have found their calling at his prodding. Cooper’s life away from the Apollo has been equally adventurous: He was one of the only black men to travel the white vaudeville circuit in the ’30s; he spent five years acting and directing in Hollywood, where he was dubbed ”Dark Gable”; he worked as a human rights arbitrator under New York Governor Nelson Rockefeller in the ’60s. Unfortunately, Amateur Night at the Apollo: Ralph Cooper Presents Five Decades of Great Entertainment doesn’t do his story justice. As a pivotal figure in American pop culture and black history, Cooper deserves better. D
Amateur Night at the Apollo As founder and emcee of the legendary Amateur Night at the Apollo Theatre, Ralph Cooper has been pushing jittery unknowns onstage for the past 50...Amateur Night at the ApolloNonfiction, MusicRalph Cooper, Steve Dougherty As founder and emcee of the legendary Amateur Night at the Apollo Theatre, Ralph Cooper has been pushing jittery unknowns onstage for the past 50...1990-12-14HarperCollins
Genre: Nonfiction, Music; Author: Ralph Cooper, Steve Dougherty; Publisher: HarperCollins
Posted December 14 1990 — 12:00 AM EST
- Bindi Irwin praises Ariel Winter's body confidence
- Garry Marshall's 'The Flamingo Kid' is going to be a stage musical
- Watch the exclusive teaser for 'Documentary Now!'
- Ice Cube to bring hip-hop 'Hollywood Squares' to VH1
- Mila Kunis bought her $90 wedding band on Etsy
- Director Edgar Wright shares his 1,000 favorite films
- Pink Floyd announce massive 27-disc collection covering 1965 to 1972
- 'Alice in Wonderland': Witticisms and Wisdom From the Disney Classic
- 'John Tucker Must Die': Where Are They Now?
- 15 Captivating International Crime Thrillers
- 'Planet of the Apes': See the Famous Faces Behind the Makeup
- Toronto Film Festival 2016: See First Look Images From This Year's Lineup
- 'One Tree Hill': Where Are They Now?