Before the start of his modern-dress adaptation of Mozart’s 1786 opera, Peter Sellars pops up to bray, ”Stay tuned for an evening of out-of-control sexual exploitation and aggression, political theory, and big entertainment!” And more power to this spiky-haired little rabble-rouser: Sellars wants to remind us that in the age of Jesse Helms and 2 Live Crew it’s not just popular art that deals in provocative themes. Sellars sets this satire of an arrogant upper class and a scheming lower class on the 52nd floor of Manhattan’s Trump Tower — ”high up and low down,” as Sellars puts it in his introduction. As an opera oaf, I’m not really qualified to judge the performances in Great Performances: Peter Sellars Directs ‘The Marriage of Figaro’, but as a television watcher, I can say that Sellars’ updating is clever and funny. The way he’s chosen to film the opera — with the performers singing to the accompaniment of a live orchestra — gives the production an exciting feeling of immediacy. A-
Great Performances: Peter Sellars Before the start of his modern-dress adaptation of Mozart's 1786 opera, Peter Sellars pops up to bray, ''Stay tuned for an evening of out-of-control...Great Performances: Peter SellarsMusic Before the start of his modern-dress adaptation of Mozart's 1786 opera, Peter Sellars pops up to bray, ''Stay tuned for an evening of out-of-control...1990-12-14Sanford Sylvan
Genre: Music; Performers: Sanford Sylvan; Director: Peter Sellers; Broadcaster: PBS; Status: In Season
Posted December 14 1990 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Sports Illustrated' reveals how the NFL persuaded Michael Jackson to perform at the Super Bowl
- Rachael Taylor joins 'A.K.A. Jessica Jones'
- Study: Binge-watching TV might make you sad
- A.J. McLean previews 'raw' Backstreet Boys documentary
- NEEDTOBREATHE teams with Gavin DeGraw for 'Brother'
- Disney to intro its first Latina princess
- Box office preview: 'Project Almanac' joins 'American Sniper' in theaters