Before the start of his modern-dress adaptation of Mozart’s 1786 opera, Peter Sellars pops up to bray, ”Stay tuned for an evening of out-of-control sexual exploitation and aggression, political theory, and big entertainment!” And more power to this spiky-haired little rabble-rouser: Sellars wants to remind us that in the age of Jesse Helms and 2 Live Crew it’s not just popular art that deals in provocative themes. Sellars sets this satire of an arrogant upper class and a scheming lower class on the 52nd floor of Manhattan’s Trump Tower — ”high up and low down,” as Sellars puts it in his introduction. As an opera oaf, I’m not really qualified to judge the performances in Great Performances: Peter Sellars Directs ‘The Marriage of Figaro’, but as a television watcher, I can say that Sellars’ updating is clever and funny. The way he’s chosen to film the opera — with the performers singing to the accompaniment of a live orchestra — gives the production an exciting feeling of immediacy. A-
Great Performances: Peter Sellars Before the start of his modern-dress adaptation of Mozart's 1786 opera, Peter Sellars pops up to bray, ''Stay tuned for an evening of out-of-control...Great Performances: Peter SellarsMusic Before the start of his modern-dress adaptation of Mozart's 1786 opera, Peter Sellars pops up to bray, ''Stay tuned for an evening of out-of-control...1990-12-14
Genre: Music; Director: Peter Sellers; Broadcaster: PBS; Status: In Season
Posted December 14 1990 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'The Walking Dead': Negan's brutal kill scene recreated with Legos
- JoJo honors Selena with 'Dreaming of You' cover in hometown
- 'Supernatural': Ackles, Padalecki discuss the effects of Mary's choice
- 'Pitch' EP explains the heartbreaking reveal behind the premiere twist
- Bryan Cranston performs dramatic reading of 'Shout Out to My Ex'
- Stephen Colbert scolds Run the Jewels for suggestive new Halloween song
- Amy Schumer on 'Formation' video backlash: 'It was never a parody'