The Kid Who Loved Christmas is a nicely acted family melodrama that briefly features Sammy Davis Jr., in his final screen performance. The kid who loves Christmas is Reggie (Trent Cameron), a young orphan on the verge of being adopted by a jazz musician (Hill Street Blues’ Michael Warren) and his wife (singer Vanessa Williams). But just as the adoption is about to be finalized, Williams is killed in a car accident. Warren spends most of the movie battling with a social worker (Good Times’ Esther Rolle), who is now withholding approval of the adoption — she doesn’t think Warren’s traveling-jazzman life would be a good influence on Reggie. When Reggie is taken to a new foster home, complete with close-ups of his sweet, misty-eyed face and Warren’s agonized one, you know that tears are being jerked shamelessly by director Arthur Allan Seidelman and executive producer Eddie Murphy — yes, the Eddie Murphy. Davis plays a musician in Warren’s jazz band; his voice is faint and scratchy, but he musters the energy to perform his few scenes with understated grace. The pace of this two-hour production is slow, but as Christmas specials go, this one turns out to be an effective piece of seasonal sentimentality. B-
The Kid Who Loved Christmas The Kid Who Loved Christmas is a nicely acted family melodrama that briefly features Sammy Davis Jr., in his final screen performance....The Kid Who Loved ChristmasTV Movie, Drama The Kid Who Loved Christmas is a nicely acted family melodrama that briefly features Sammy Davis Jr., in his final screen performance....1990-12-14
Genre: TV Movie, Drama; Starring: Michael Warren; Broadcaster: Syndicated
Posted December 14 1990 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Disney Infinity 3.0' developer discusses bringing iconic 'Star Wars' characters to the franchise
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' showrunner promises 'psychological tension'
- The next generation of male pop stars, from Harry Styles to The Weeknd
- The slow, curious fade of the male pop star
- Final 'Dexter' book says farewell to serial killer Dexter Morgan
- Kel Mitchell talks return to Nickelodeon this fall in 'Game Shakers'
- Kevin Bacon, Neil Marshall, and the other Thor to attend Fantasia 2015
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- Pippa Middleton, Ryan Reynolds, Jessica Alba & More!