Talent and good taste don’t always go together. Take Cher. She’s one of the most gifted American actresses now working, yet when it came time for her to pick her first role after winning the Oscar for Moonstruck, what did she do? She waited three years and then chose this belabored glob of whimsy about a wisecracking-sexpot single mom who dresses like Mamie Van Doren’s low-rent cousin (the year is 1963), cooks nothing but prefab snack foods, and is such an arrested-development case that she has driven her exasperated teenage daughter (Winona Ryder) to become a wannabe nun — even though the family is Jewish. Cher obviously relishes the chance to strut down the street in pedal pushers twitching her behind like Divine in Pink Flamingos. There’s no denying that, in some terribly vulgar way, this is style. But is it acting? As always, Cher’s comic timing is flawless, but the aggressive, drag-queen tackiness of Mermaids engulfs her soulfulness as a performer. She isn’t doing anything here she couldn’t have done 20 years ago in a comedy-revue sketch with Sonny. Director Richard Benjamin punches up the wackiness and gooses the picture along with a sound track of early-’60s pop standards (”The Shoop Shoop Song,” ”You’ve Really Got a Hold on Me,” etc.). In the end, though, there’s something a little insulting about a contemporary movie that reduces women to either trashy bimbos or repressed virgins. D+
Mermaids Talent and good taste don't always go together. Take Cher. She's one of the most gifted American actresses now working, yet when it came time for her...MermaidsDrama, ComedyPT110MPG-13 Talent and good taste don't always go together. Take Cher. She's one of the most gifted American actresses now working, yet when it came time for her...1990-12-14Bob Hoskins
Genre: Drama, Comedy; Starring: Cher, Christina Ricci, Winona Ryder, Bob Hoskins; Director: Richard Benjamin; Runtime (in minutes): 110; MPAA Rating: PG-13
Posted December 14 1990 — 12:00 AM EST
- Can the 'Legends of Tomorrow' ever truly defeat Vandal Savage?
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Ryan Reynolds on how he was forced into 'X-Men Origins: Wolverine'
- Casting Net: Taraji P. Henson to star in Hidden Figures
- 'Grey's Anatomy' star Ellen Pompeo on Meredith-centric midseason return
- Nasim Pedrad to play teenage boy in Fox pilot 'Chad: An American Boy'
- A house divided in 'House of Cards' season 4 trailer
- 'Gilmore Girls' revival casts former 'Bunheads' star Sutton Foster
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996
- 'Beautiful Girls': Where Are They Now?
- 15 Musicians Who Banned Candidates From Using Their Songs
- See '90s Stars at the 1996 'Broken Arrow' Premiere
- 35 Tom Hiddleston Photos For His 35th Birthday