Recently perched at the top of both the independent and mainstream British charts, Happy Mondays are the most fashionable group in England. Their greasy hair, baggy clothes, fondness for drugs, scrapes with the law, and mildly repetitious dance rock have earned them a reputation as ”the new Rolling Stones.” Partly as a result, their hometown of Manchester has replaced London as the hub of Britain’s style scene and spawned a spate of copycat groups who try to mimic the Mondays’ late-’60s-early-’70s revivalism. The only problem is that the Mondays’ sound — a bedrock of percolating congas overlaid with bouncy keyboards, nondescript vocals, innocuous acoustic, and semi-grungy electric guitar — isn’t as compelling as that of their imitators, among them bands such as Charlatans UK. The Mondays’ third album, Pills ‘N’ Thrills and Bellyaches, is suspiciously short on thrills, and while ”Step On” and ”Donovan” (an apparent homage to the ’60s singing flower child) show some promise, they’re hardly strong enough to be compared with the Rolling Stones. C+
Pills 'N' Thrills and Bellyaches Recently perched at the top of both the independent and mainstream British charts, Happy Mondays are the most fashionable group in England. Their...Pills 'N' Thrills and BellyachesRock Recently perched at the top of both the independent and mainstream British charts, Happy Mondays are the most fashionable group in England. Their...1990-12-14
Genre: Rock; Producer (group): Elektra
Posted January 17 2015 — 11:46 AM EST
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Star Wars': 5 revelations from Carrie Fisher at Celebration Q&A
- 'Batman v Superman' trailer is here; official release by Zack Snyder follows leak
- Never-before-seen passage from Madeleine L'Engle's 'A Wrinkle in Time' found
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Naomi Campbell, Jessica & Rosario, the Star Wars Cast & More