Recently perched at the top of both the independent and mainstream British charts, Happy Mondays are the most fashionable group in England. Their greasy hair, baggy clothes, fondness for drugs, scrapes with the law, and mildly repetitious dance rock have earned them a reputation as ”the new Rolling Stones.” Partly as a result, their hometown of Manchester has replaced London as the hub of Britain’s style scene and spawned a spate of copycat groups who try to mimic the Mondays’ late-’60s-early-’70s revivalism. The only problem is that the Mondays’ sound — a bedrock of percolating congas overlaid with bouncy keyboards, nondescript vocals, innocuous acoustic, and semi-grungy electric guitar — isn’t as compelling as that of their imitators, among them bands such as Charlatans UK. The Mondays’ third album, Pills ‘N’ Thrills and Bellyaches, is suspiciously short on thrills, and while ”Step On” and ”Donovan” (an apparent homage to the ’60s singing flower child) show some promise, they’re hardly strong enough to be compared with the Rolling Stones. C+
Pills 'N' Thrills and Bellyaches Recently perched at the top of both the independent and mainstream British charts, Happy Mondays are the most fashionable group in England. Their...Pills 'N' Thrills and BellyachesRock Recently perched at the top of both the independent and mainstream British charts, Happy Mondays are the most fashionable group in England. Their...1990-12-14
Genre: Rock; Producer (group): Elektra
Posted December 14 1990 — 12:00 AM EST
- 5 reasons Hayley Atwell is a woman who kicks ass
- Alison Brie sprinkles some Salt-N-Pepa over her 'Lip Sync Battle': Watch
- See the first full promo for 'Bachelor in Paradise' season 2
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy' animated series sets fall premiere date
- Which Avengers member is definitely in 'Ant-Man'?
- Chris Pratt used his raptor-whispering skills on the Avengers
- 'Ash vs Evil Dead': Sam Raimi on why he likes to torment Bruce Campbell
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Rumer & Khloé, Usher, Cara Delevingne & More!