Recently perched at the top of both the independent and mainstream British charts, Happy Mondays are the most fashionable group in England. Their greasy hair, baggy clothes, fondness for drugs, scrapes with the law, and mildly repetitious dance rock have earned them a reputation as ”the new Rolling Stones.” Partly as a result, their hometown of Manchester has replaced London as the hub of Britain’s style scene and spawned a spate of copycat groups who try to mimic the Mondays’ late-’60s-early-’70s revivalism. The only problem is that the Mondays’ sound — a bedrock of percolating congas overlaid with bouncy keyboards, nondescript vocals, innocuous acoustic, and semi-grungy electric guitar — isn’t as compelling as that of their imitators, among them bands such as Charlatans UK. The Mondays’ third album, Pills ‘N’ Thrills and Bellyaches, is suspiciously short on thrills, and while ”Step On” and ”Donovan” (an apparent homage to the ’60s singing flower child) show some promise, they’re hardly strong enough to be compared with the Rolling Stones. C+
Pills 'N' Thrills and Bellyaches Recently perched at the top of both the independent and mainstream British charts, Happy Mondays are the most fashionable group in England. Their...Pills 'N' Thrills and BellyachesRock Recently perched at the top of both the independent and mainstream British charts, Happy Mondays are the most fashionable group in England. Their...1990-12-14
Genre: Rock; Producer (group): Elektra
Posted December 14 1990 — 12:00 AM EST
- Jennifer Aniston's '90s throwback photo is picture perfect
- Straight No Chaser step into Jim Nabors' shoes, sing to kick off the Indy 500
- Dave Grohl joins Paul McCartney in London to play a Beatles classic: Watch
- Kelly Rutherford gets sole custody of kids
- J.K. Rowling cheers Ireland's gay wed vote
- John Nash, 'A Beautiful Mind' subject, dies
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Karina Smirnoff, Zachary Quinto, Taylor Swift & More!