At first, this sitcom looks like a black version of Roseanne: Our portly, working-class protagonist this time is Nell Carter; she has a burly, charming husband (Roger E. Mosley) and a passel of wisenheimer kids — four, to be precise, and the best of them portrayed by the dreadlocked Dante Beze. Once it gets going, however, You Take the Kids develops an attitude all its own. In contrast to Roseanne’s highly personal, sarcastic style, Kids offers a barrage of jokes that sound simultaneously slick and mechanical. ”Your mother is so dumb,” says Mosley to Carter at one point, ”she thinks Idi Amin and Eydie Gorme are related.” It’s too bad Mosley is stuck with lines like this, because he seems relaxed and alert, ready to give a good, warm performance. Carter, on the other hand, spits out all her lines with a tediously relentless vehemence. It always takes a while for a sitcom to find its rhythm, and it’s possible that You Take the Kids will improve. Right now, though, it’s just another prime-time joke machine. C
You Take the Kids At first, this sitcom looks like a black version of Roseanne: Our portly, working-class protagonist this time is Nell Carter; she has a burly,...You Take the KidsComedy At first, this sitcom looks like a black version of Roseanne: Our portly, working-class protagonist this time is Nell Carter; she has a burly,...1990-12-14
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Nell Carter, Mos Def; Broadcaster: CBS
Posted December 14 1990 — 12:00 AM EST
- Meek Mill hits back at Drake with diss track 'Wanna Know'
- 'Graceland' postmortem: Is Paige in over her head?
- 'Wet Hot' creators provide teases for 40 characters in the prequel
- Patricia Arquette to voice witch in 'Troll: The Rise of Harry Potter Jr.'
- Caitlyn Jenner practices her 'feminine voice' in 'I Am Cait' clip
- Dwayne Johnson on Hulk Hogan's racist rant: 'We've all talked trash'
- Jared Padalecki posted his first-ever #TBT: 13 more 'Supernatural' throwbacks
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Jennifer Lopez, Brad Pitt, Candace & Lori and More!