At first, this sitcom looks like a black version of Roseanne: Our portly, working-class protagonist this time is Nell Carter; she has a burly, charming husband (Roger E. Mosley) and a passel of wisenheimer kids — four, to be precise, and the best of them portrayed by the dreadlocked Dante Beze. Once it gets going, however, You Take the Kids develops an attitude all its own. In contrast to Roseanne’s highly personal, sarcastic style, Kids offers a barrage of jokes that sound simultaneously slick and mechanical. ”Your mother is so dumb,” says Mosley to Carter at one point, ”she thinks Idi Amin and Eydie Gorme are related.” It’s too bad Mosley is stuck with lines like this, because he seems relaxed and alert, ready to give a good, warm performance. Carter, on the other hand, spits out all her lines with a tediously relentless vehemence. It always takes a while for a sitcom to find its rhythm, and it’s possible that You Take the Kids will improve. Right now, though, it’s just another prime-time joke machine. C
You Take the Kids At first, this sitcom looks like a black version of Roseanne: Our portly, working-class protagonist this time is Nell Carter; she has a burly,...You Take the KidsComedy12/15/1990 At first, this sitcom looks like a black version of Roseanne: Our portly, working-class protagonist this time is Nell Carter; she has a burly,...1990-12-14
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Nell Carter, Mos Def; Series Premiere: 12/15/1990; Broadcaster: CBS; Status: In Season
Posted December 14 1990 — 12:00 AM EST
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt blazes through aptitude test in 'Snowden' clip
- Jon Favreau to direct Seth MacFarlane's space-set comedic drama 'Orville'
- Ariana Grande, Nicki Minaj are reuniting for another VMAs performance
- VMAs: DJ Khaled, Key and Peele, Jay Pharoah to cover show in lieu of host
- Christoph Waltz in talks for James Cameron's 'Alita: Battle Angel'
- 'Doctor Strange' recruits 'Community' creator Dan Harmon for script assist
- 'Fuller House': Candace Cameron Bure, NKOTB star recreate adorable photo
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...