At first, this sitcom looks like a black version of Roseanne: Our portly, working-class protagonist this time is Nell Carter; she has a burly, charming husband (Roger E. Mosley) and a passel of wisenheimer kids — four, to be precise, and the best of them portrayed by the dreadlocked Dante Beze. Once it gets going, however, You Take the Kids develops an attitude all its own. In contrast to Roseanne’s highly personal, sarcastic style, Kids offers a barrage of jokes that sound simultaneously slick and mechanical. ”Your mother is so dumb,” says Mosley to Carter at one point, ”she thinks Idi Amin and Eydie Gorme are related.” It’s too bad Mosley is stuck with lines like this, because he seems relaxed and alert, ready to give a good, warm performance. Carter, on the other hand, spits out all her lines with a tediously relentless vehemence. It always takes a while for a sitcom to find its rhythm, and it’s possible that You Take the Kids will improve. Right now, though, it’s just another prime-time joke machine. C
You Take the Kids At first, this sitcom looks like a black version of Roseanne: Our portly, working-class protagonist this time is Nell Carter; she has a burly,...You Take the KidsComedy At first, this sitcom looks like a black version of Roseanne: Our portly, working-class protagonist this time is Nell Carter; she has a burly,...1990-12-14
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Nell Carter, Mos Def; Broadcaster: CBS
Posted January 17 2015 — 11:46 AM EST
- 'Orphan Black' star Tatiana Maslany says fan love is 'like fuel for us'
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Star Wars': 5 revelations from Carrie Fisher at Celebration Q&A
- 'Batman v Superman' trailer is here; official release by Zack Snyder follows leak
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Olivia Wilde, Brad Paisley, Brandy Norwood & More!