Tom Zé was one of the most serenely conceptual of the Tropicalistas, a loose gaggle of singers and art-hippies that formed in Brazil in the ’60s. The group ticked off everybody from established bossa nova musicians to the military dictatorship because they treated songs like cut-and-paste ransom notes, playfully jamming together musical styles that had always been kept apart. In Zé’s case, that meant coupling an upbeat rock tune with morbid lyrics (”Dôi,” which translates as ”It Aches”), or deconstructing a sweet love song into murmured vowels (”Vai”), or writing an instrumental for guitar, horn section, typewriter, and food blender (”Toc”). Zé’s 1970’s work, all sung in his native Portuguese, has been compiled as the fourth in David Byrne’s Brazil Classics series: With almost the sensibility of a Luis Buñuel film, it offers songs that are both delicately haunting and bracingly intelligent. A lyric from ”Tô” could double as Zé’s motto: ”I’m making it clear to confuse you/I’m confusing you to make things clear.” With this album of baffling, provocative delights, he hits his mark. A
Brazil Classics 4: The Best of Tom Ze Tom Zé was one of the most serenely conceptual of the Tropicalistas, a loose gaggle of singers and art-hippies that formed in Brazil in...Brazil Classics 4: The Best of Tom ZeWorld, Reissues Tom Zé was one of the most serenely conceptual of the Tropicalistas, a loose gaggle of singers and art-hippies that formed in Brazil in...1990-12-21
Genre: World, Reissues; Lead Performer: Tom Ze; Producer (group): Luaka Bop, Warner Bros.
Posted December 21 1990 — 12:00 AM EST
- Aaron Tveit, Daniel Sunjata sum up 'Graceland' in 30 seconds
- 'Hannibal' boss previews series finale, considers cannibalism
- 'Suicide Squad' wrap photo is like a 'Where's Waldo?'
- Lionsgate planning movie based on 'Borderlands' video game
- What it was like inside Lady Gaga's blood-red 'American Horror Story' pool party
- Spoiler Room: Scoop on 'Blacklist,' 'Sleepy Hollow,' 'The Flash' and more
- How well do you know The Weeknd's lyrics?
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Céline Dion, Aaron Paul, Kate & Hayden and More!