Tom Zé was one of the most serenely conceptual of the Tropicalistas, a loose gaggle of singers and art-hippies that formed in Brazil in the ’60s. The group ticked off everybody from established bossa nova musicians to the military dictatorship because they treated songs like cut-and-paste ransom notes, playfully jamming together musical styles that had always been kept apart. In Zé’s case, that meant coupling an upbeat rock tune with morbid lyrics (”Dôi,” which translates as ”It Aches”), or deconstructing a sweet love song into murmured vowels (”Vai”), or writing an instrumental for guitar, horn section, typewriter, and food blender (”Toc”). Zé’s 1970’s work, all sung in his native Portuguese, has been compiled as the fourth in David Byrne’s Brazil Classics series: With almost the sensibility of a Luis Buñuel film, it offers songs that are both delicately haunting and bracingly intelligent. A lyric from ”Tô” could double as Zé’s motto: ”I’m making it clear to confuse you/I’m confusing you to make things clear.” With this album of baffling, provocative delights, he hits his mark. A
Brazil Classics 4: The Best of Tom Ze Tom Zé was one of the most serenely conceptual of the Tropicalistas, a loose gaggle of singers and art-hippies that formed in Brazil in...Brazil Classics 4: The Best of Tom ZeWorld, Reissues Tom Zé was one of the most serenely conceptual of the Tropicalistas, a loose gaggle of singers and art-hippies that formed in Brazil in...1990-12-21
Genre: World, Reissues; Lead Performer: Tom Ze; Producer (group): Luaka Bop, Warner Bros.
Posted December 21 1990 — 12:00 AM EST
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt blazes through aptitude test in 'Snowden' clip
- Jon Favreau to direct Seth MacFarlane's space-set comedic drama 'Orville'
- Ariana Grande, Nicki Minaj are reuniting for another VMAs performance
- VMAs: DJ Khaled, Key and Peele, Jay Pharoah to cover show in lieu of host
- Christoph Waltz in talks for James Cameron's 'Alita: Battle Angel'
- 'Doctor Strange' recruits 'Community' creator Dan Harmon for script assist
- 'Fuller House': Candace Cameron Bure, NKOTB star recreate adorable photo
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...