Grains of Sand is a compilation consisting mostly of outtakes that never made it onto Carved in Sand, this popular British band’s previous, similarly titled album — and unfortunately you can plainly see why they didn’t. Even though a couple of tracks, particularly ”Mercenary” and ”Tower of Strength,” are refreshing in their echoes of the folkie and Eastern-mystic sides of Led Zeppelin, the rest of the record ranges from forgettable to out-and-out embarrassing. In the embarrassing category are the nursery rhyme-like ditty ”Mr. Pleasant,” the ham-handed, maudlin power ballad ”Kingdom Come,” and worst of all the mock-symphonic ”Sweet Smile of Mystery,” which might just be the most misguided sonic blunder since the overblown rock operas of the mid-’70s. C-
Grains of Sand Grains of Sand is a compilation consisting mostly of outtakes that never made it onto Carved in Sand, this popular British...Grains of SandRock Grains of Sand is a compilation consisting mostly of outtakes that never made it onto Carved in Sand, this popular British...1990-12-21
Genre: Rock; Producer (group): Mercury Records, PolyGram
Posted December 21 1990 — 12:00 AM EST
- Spoiler Room: Scoop on 'Grey's Anatomy,' 'Murder,' 'Scandal' and more
- The music we loved this week
- 'Game of Thrones' casts Samwell Tarly's brother
- Idris Elba prepares child soldiers for war in 'Beasts of No Nation' trailer
- These were the best responses to our Shondaland caption contest
- Pentatonix reveal details of new album: 'We want to prove we can write'
- Misha Collins thinks Donald Trump would make a great cat circus tour assistant
- Force Friday: See Hasbro's 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- Tom Hardy, Alessandra Ambrósio, Bindi Irwin & More!