Grains of Sand is a compilation consisting mostly of outtakes that never made it onto Carved in Sand, this popular British band’s previous, similarly titled album — and unfortunately you can plainly see why they didn’t. Even though a couple of tracks, particularly ”Mercenary” and ”Tower of Strength,” are refreshing in their echoes of the folkie and Eastern-mystic sides of Led Zeppelin, the rest of the record ranges from forgettable to out-and-out embarrassing. In the embarrassing category are the nursery rhyme-like ditty ”Mr. Pleasant,” the ham-handed, maudlin power ballad ”Kingdom Come,” and worst of all the mock-symphonic ”Sweet Smile of Mystery,” which might just be the most misguided sonic blunder since the overblown rock operas of the mid-’70s. C-
Grains of Sand Grains of Sand is a compilation consisting mostly of outtakes that never made it onto Carved in Sand, this popular British...Grains of SandRock Grains of Sand is a compilation consisting mostly of outtakes that never made it onto Carved in Sand, this popular British...1990-12-21
Genre: Rock; Producer (group): Mercury Records, PolyGram
Posted December 21 1990 — 12:00 AM EST
- Final 'Dexter' book says farewell to serial killer Dexter Morgan
- Kel Mitchell talks return to Nickelodeon this fall in 'Game Shakers'
- Kevin Bacon, Neil Marshall, and the other Thor to attend Fantasia 2015
- Tatiana Maslany, Haley Joel Osment among cast for 'Locke & Key' audiobook
- Here's your best look yet at the very cool 'No Man's Sky'
- Bruce Campbell rides THAT '73 Delta 88 in 'Ash vs Evil Dead': New EW exclusive images
- Audience member attempts to charge phone on stage at Broadway play
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- Pippa Middleton, Ryan Reynolds, Jessica Alba & More!