London ”acid-house” up-and-comer Adamski’s first album, early 1990’s Liveandirect, was mostly instrumental dance Muzak that listeners outside its dance-floor audience might find appropriate for hallucinatory trips to Venus and not for much else. But his follow-up, Doctor Adamski’s Musical Pharmacy, is less pretentious, more varied, and more fun. This time he tries to sing, and while he retains the electronic keyboard doodling he started out with, here he uses it as a break in the action rather than as an end in itself. Especially toward the end of the disc, Adamski really lets down his guard and tries to entertain the masses. He even turns the theme from David Lynch’s 1978 movie Eraserhead into the chorus for a ridiculous alphabet song. His zig-zagging synthesizer squiggles still tend to drift toward the stratosphere, and his crooning is painfully overwrought. But if parts of Musical Pharmacy are indeed pretty boneheaded, at least it’s the kind of boneheadedness you don’t need to be high on drugs to appreciate. B
Doctor Adamski's Musical PharmacyLondon ''acid-house'' up-and-comer Adamski's first album, early 1990's Liveandirect, was mostly instrumental dance Muzak that listeners outside...Doctor Adamski's Musical PharmacyElectronicLondon ''acid-house'' up-and-comer Adamski's first album, early 1990's Liveandirect, was mostly instrumental dance Muzak that listeners outside...1991-01-11
Genre: Electronic; Lead Performer: Adamski; Producer (group): MCA
Posted January 11 1991 — 12:00 AM EST
- Eddie Redmayne and Alicia Vikander stun in new 'Danish Girl' poster
- Get to know The Weeknd through his 9 best deep cuts
- Jimmy Kimmel censors Donald Trump on 'Unnecessary Censorship'
- Ranking Shania Twain's 37 singles in honor of her 50th birthday
- 'It Follows' director responds to Tarantino's criticism
- Kelly Clarkson covers Dolly Parton's 'Jolene'
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' cast reveals the players they are surprised got voted in
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Emma Watson, Matt Damon, Helena Bonham Carter & More!