London ”acid-house” up-and-comer Adamski’s first album, early 1990’s Liveandirect, was mostly instrumental dance Muzak that listeners outside its dance-floor audience might find appropriate for hallucinatory trips to Venus and not for much else. But his follow-up, Doctor Adamski’s Musical Pharmacy, is less pretentious, more varied, and more fun. This time he tries to sing, and while he retains the electronic keyboard doodling he started out with, here he uses it as a break in the action rather than as an end in itself. Especially toward the end of the disc, Adamski really lets down his guard and tries to entertain the masses. He even turns the theme from David Lynch’s 1978 movie Eraserhead into the chorus for a ridiculous alphabet song. His zig-zagging synthesizer squiggles still tend to drift toward the stratosphere, and his crooning is painfully overwrought. But if parts of Musical Pharmacy are indeed pretty boneheaded, at least it’s the kind of boneheadedness you don’t need to be high on drugs to appreciate. B
Doctor Adamski's Musical PharmacyLondon ''acid-house'' up-and-comer Adamski's first album, early 1990's Liveandirect, was mostly instrumental dance Muzak that listeners outside...Doctor Adamski's Musical PharmacyElectronicLondon ''acid-house'' up-and-comer Adamski's first album, early 1990's Liveandirect, was mostly instrumental dance Muzak that listeners outside...1991-01-11
Genre: Electronic; Lead Performer: Adamski; Producer (group): MCA
Posted January 17 2015 — 11:46 AM EST
- 'Inside Out' clip: Joy has a special job for Sadness on the first day at a new school
- Host Luke Bryan on the ACM Awards' big stage: 'Certain people just really perform when the moment comes'
- 'Orphan Black' star Tatiana Maslany says fan love is 'like fuel for us'
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Olivia Wilde, Brad Paisley, Brandy Norwood & More!