Scott Bradfield writes weird, oblique, unsettling stuff. His collection of short stories, Dream of the Wolf, is full of characters who have tapped into some kind of cosmic party line. A child unearths a statue from outer space. A woman keeps a diary of her out-of-body experiences. A man causes earthquakes with his mind. Many of Bradfield’s characters have symbol-saturated dreams that spill over into their waking lives, and nearly all are flummoxed by dolts who say things like, ”It’s weird, that’s what it is. Bullying defenseless little mice and deer that never hurt anybody. Talking about killing, and blood, and ice — and particularly breakfast.” Although Bradfield occasionally drifts off into New Age la-la land, his best stories are as startling and strangely funny as his novel, The History of Luminous Motion. In Bradfield’s universe, even houses have visions: ”The house dreamed fantastic dreams of self-fulfillment, overwhelming pride, spontaneous transformations. The house dreamed it was an ocean liner, a vast white iceberg, a right whale boiling with plankton and animalcula, a duplex shopping center with multiple cinemas.” B+
Dream of the Wolf Scott Bradfield writes weird, oblique, unsettling stuff. His collection of short stories, Dream of the Wolf, is full of characters...Dream of the WolfShort Stories, FictionScott Bradfield Scott Bradfield writes weird, oblique, unsettling stuff. His collection of short stories, Dream of the Wolf, is full of characters...1991-01-11Knopf
Genre: Short Stories, Fiction; Author: Scott Bradfield; Publisher: Knopf
Posted January 11 1991 — 12:00 AM EST
- See 4 never-before-seen images from the illustrated 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone'
- 21 things we learned from Lifetime's 'Unauthorized 90210 Story'
- Michael Fassbender 'studied Ashton Kutcher' (not really) for 'Steve Jobs'
- Why Victoria Justice got starstruck at Fashion Week
- Broadway's Cinderella and Prince Hans actor from 'Frozen' tie the knot
- Miley Cyrus hosts 'SNL': EW live blog
- Miley Cyrus hosts 'SNL': Play People's unofficial drinking game