Pretend you’re stuck in a basement with two brats who insist on subjecting you to every infantile, obnoxious, expletive-strewn, half-baked semblance of a song they’ve ever written. That’s how it feels to wade through this 26-track treatise by the mysterious Gene and Dean Ween (actually Aaron Freeman and Mickey Melchiondo) of New Hope, Pa. For most of the record, the duo specializes in screaming, raving rant, set to bludgeoning meat-grinder guitars. Tracks like ”Bumblebee,” about getting stung, spew so much pent-up bile that they’re almost scary. But the Weens can also be funny. Amidst the maelstrom, they pause to contemplate other urgent topics, like pimples and ticks; with equally silly abandon, they toss off the treacly ”Don’t Laugh (I Love You),” which simulates a schlock ’70s AM-radio hit, while another track, ”Squelch the Weasel,” parodies pretentious British art-rock almost as well as Spinal Tap’s ”Stonehenge.” As it veers uncontrollably from the stupid to the unlistenable, God Ween Satan becomes the energizing sound of two street-corner nutjobs railing as best they can against the entire world. Equal opportunity for clever morons to punish the masses with the aid of modern recording equipment — it’s truly a wonderful thing.
God Ween Satan -- The OnenessPretend you're stuck in a basement with two brats who insist on subjecting you to every infantile, obnoxious, expletive-strewn, half-baked semblance of...God Ween Satan -- The OnenessRockPretend you're stuck in a basement with two brats who insist on subjecting you to every infantile, obnoxious, expletive-strewn, half-baked semblance of...1991-01-11
Genre: Rock; Lead Performer: Ween; Producer (group): Tone, Twin
Posted January 11 1991 — 12:00 AM EST
- How 'Terminator: Genisys' re-created 1984 Arnold Schwarzenegger for the summer's coolest fight scene
- Demi Lovato drops infectious new track, 'Cool For The Summer'
- John Green reveals the inspiration behind 'Paper Towns' — exclusive
- Jon Hamm introduces a montage of Jon Stewart's most memorable musical moments
- ‘Dukes of Hazzard’ off TV Land schedule
- Fox News says Kendrick Lamar's BET performance incites violence
- Amy Schumer talked to Jon Stewart about 'The Daily Show' before saying no
- 27 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- 'X-Files': David Duchovny, Gillian Anderson portraits
- Comic-Con 2005: How buzziest projects panned out
- 'Survivor' cast thanks YOU for Second Chances in new pics
- 'Ant-Man': 7 EW exclusive new character posters
- Lupita Nyong'o, Amber Heard, Rosario Dawson & More!