In the land of kitsch, bad is good, awful is better, and the ultimate evil is to be bland. Defying the popular prejudice against ’70s pop music, Have a Nice Day positively revels in cheesiness. These five new volumes (joining 10 issued earlier this year) all contain items of both enduring artistic merit and deliciously wretched banality. Alas, too many tracks are neither. The monotony of Vol. 11’s mushy 1973 pop and mild country is interrupted only by Deodato’s hellish jazz-disco-classical fusion, ”Also Sprach Zarathustra,” and Charlie Daniels’ amusing hippie narrative, ”Uneasy Rider.” Vols. 12 and 13 mix maudlin pap (”Seasons in the Sun”), delightfully disposable pop (”Hooked on a Feeling”), and classic rock (”Rock and Roll, Hoochie Koo”). In addition, Vol. 12 boasts David Essex’s stylishly spare ”Rock On” and Ray Stevens’ dumb nudity novelty, ”The Streak.” Leo Sayer’s maddeningly chipper ”Long Tall Glasses (I Can Dance)” is just one of the songs on Vol. 14 you loved to hate. But such bad memories are countered by perfectly good tracks from Ace, Pilot, and Hot Chocolate. Except for credible tunes by Dwight Twilley and others, Vol. 15 recalls the mid-decade doldrums with some really bad records. This mixture of the faddish (”Convoy”) and the unforgivable (Austin Roberts’ tearjerker ”Rocky”) almost runs off the schlock meter. Now is that good or bad? B-
Have a Nice Day: Super Hits of the '70sIn the land of kitsch, bad is good, awful is better, and the ultimate evil is to be bland. Defying the popular prejudice against '70s pop music, Have a Nice Day: Super Hits of the '70sReissuesIn the land of kitsch, bad is good, awful is better, and the ultimate evil is to be bland. Defying the popular prejudice against '70s pop music, 1991-01-11
Genre: Reissues; Lead Performer: Various Artists
Posted January 11 1991 — 12:00 AM EST
- Ellen Page says her 'Freeheld' role inspired her to come out
- 'Brides of Dracula' series from 'Arrow' producer gets NBC pilot commitment
- 'SYTYCD' mentor blog: Travis Wall on why the judges 'floored' him this week
- Christina Applegate is a terrible Meryl Streep in Funny or Die's Lifetime spoof
- Wrestling legend Jimmy 'Superfly' Snuka charged in 1983 murder
- Meet Denise, Kermit the Frog's new love interest
- And the Oscar producing gig goes to...
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Victoria Justice, Andrew & Laura, Rihanna and More!