In the land of kitsch, bad is good, awful is better, and the ultimate evil is to be bland. Defying the popular prejudice against ’70s pop music, Have a Nice Day positively revels in cheesiness. These five new volumes (joining 10 issued earlier this year) all contain items of both enduring artistic merit and deliciously wretched banality. Alas, too many tracks are neither. The monotony of Vol. 11’s mushy 1973 pop and mild country is interrupted only by Deodato’s hellish jazz-disco-classical fusion, ”Also Sprach Zarathustra,” and Charlie Daniels’ amusing hippie narrative, ”Uneasy Rider.” Vols. 12 and 13 mix maudlin pap (”Seasons in the Sun”), delightfully disposable pop (”Hooked on a Feeling”), and classic rock (”Rock and Roll, Hoochie Koo”). In addition, Vol. 12 boasts David Essex’s stylishly spare ”Rock On” and Ray Stevens’ dumb nudity novelty, ”The Streak.” Leo Sayer’s maddeningly chipper ”Long Tall Glasses (I Can Dance)” is just one of the songs on Vol. 14 you loved to hate. But such bad memories are countered by perfectly good tracks from Ace, Pilot, and Hot Chocolate. Except for credible tunes by Dwight Twilley and others, Vol. 15 recalls the mid-decade doldrums with some really bad records. This mixture of the faddish (”Convoy”) and the unforgivable (Austin Roberts’ tearjerker ”Rocky”) almost runs off the schlock meter. Now is that good or bad? B-
Have a Nice Day: Super Hits of the '70sIn the land of kitsch, bad is good, awful is better, and the ultimate evil is to be bland. Defying the popular prejudice against '70s pop music, Have a Nice Day: Super Hits of the '70sReissuesIn the land of kitsch, bad is good, awful is better, and the ultimate evil is to be bland. Defying the popular prejudice against '70s pop music, 1991-01-11
Genre: Reissues; Lead Performer: Various Artists
Posted January 11 1991 — 12:00 AM EST
- See Nic Cage in his 'Superman Lives' costume
- Ava DuVernay decides not to direct 'Black Panther': 'We just didn't see eye to eye'
- LeBron James: Hollywood's newest MVP
- Know this week's pop culture news? Take EW's quiz to find out
- 10 celebrity memoirs to devour this summer
- Celebrate Independence Day with Steven Tyler's new country video
- 'Bible' series won't return to NBC
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- 26 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- Miranda Kerr, Ewan & Chiwetel, Karlie Kloss & More!