”Are you ready to degrade yourself?” Meat Beat Manifesto asks on their new album, 99%. You’d better be. They subscribe to a growing extremist style known as ”industrial music,” which, broadly speaking, combines the gargantuan beat of a dance club with the wrenching twist of an auto wreck. Groups like Ministry, Skinny Puppy, and Front 242 are the genre’s chief perpetrators. But these dedicated noisemeisters have developed a cruel modus operandi of their own. On their second American album this British band has created a sound that’s at once minimal and overwhelming. Like the most unrelenting house-music groups, they specialize in stark, earsplitting rhythm. The band may add monotonous vocal declamations (suggesting a zombified form of rap) and some ugly keyboard samples, but the center of the sound remains purposely hollow. The point is to infuse the record with a hint of the void. In the process they’ve created dance music thrilling and revolting enough to be ideal for a club at the end of the world. B+
99% ''Are you ready to degrade yourself?'' Meat Beat Manifesto asks on their new album, 99%. You'd better be. They subscribe to a growing...99%Rock ''Are you ready to degrade yourself?'' Meat Beat Manifesto asks on their new album, 99%. You'd better be. They subscribe to a growing...1991-01-18
Posted January 18 1991 — 12:00 AM EST
- Two of B.B. King's daughters allege father was poisoned by employees
- Hear Icona Pop's new single 'Emergency'
- 'It' on hold; director Cary Fukunaga exits
- 'Jurassic World' director Colin Trevorrow dishes on deadly new dino Indominus Rex
- Drake: 'Madonna' out, 'Rihanna' in?
- Ben Stiller tweets about mom Anne Meara
- Max Greenfield joins 'AHS: Hotel' cast
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Christina & Matt, Kendall Jenner, Jordin Sparks & More!