With his credentials as leader of the Byrds and Bob Dylan associate, Roger McGuinn could have been the sixth Traveling Wilbury. Indeed, Back From Rio, his first album in 11 years, fits comfortably into the vein of Tom Petty’s Full Moon Fever and Traveling Wilburys Vol. 1 — pleasant, middle-aged folk-rock that’s meant to re-create the legend of rock’s ”golden era,” not explore new trails. But too many of the songs here are banal, the guitar-based production is a bit monotonous, and McGuinn still doesn’t have very much to say. When he tries to make a statement, as he does on the strident environmental rocker ”The Trees Are All Gone,” you wish he’d stick to his melancholy love songs. Still, when his quivering pinch of a voice and the chime of his ageless 12-string guitar settle into a sturdy melody, the album springs to life; for Byrds fans, the airy ”Suddenly Blue” and McGuinn’s brooding duet with Tom Petty, ”King of the Hill,” are manna. Back From Rio is the musical equivalent of a Stone Age creature frozen in a North Pole iceberg, who when thawed acts as if the last few millennia either never happened or didn’t matter. B
Back From Rio With his credentials as leader of the Byrds and Bob Dylan associate, Roger McGuinn could have been the sixth Traveling Wilbury. Indeed, Back ...Back From Rio With his credentials as leader of the Byrds and Bob Dylan associate, Roger McGuinn could have been the sixth Traveling Wilbury. Indeed, Back ...1991-01-18
Lead Performer: Roger McGuinn
Posted January 18 1991 — 12:00 AM EST
- Disney eyes live-action 'Prince Charming'
- Ezra Koenig of Vampire Weekend lands own Beats 1 Radio show
- 'Sesame Street': Sonia 'Maria' Manzano's 7 favorites
- 'Hannibal': No go at Netflix, Amazon
- Caitlyn Jenner gives empowering talk in new 'I Am Cait' trailer
- Michael Eisner clarifies comment that beautiful, funny women are 'impossible to find'
- Sluggish Fourth of July box office no picnic for Hollywood
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- Kendall Jenner, Liv Tyler, Jessie J & More!