Chapman, whose songs have been recorded by Willie Nelson, Tanya Tucker, and Highway 101, emerges on her Nashville debut, Beth Nielsen Chapman, as a kind of Carole King for the ’90s, though her voice is more akin to Judy Collins’. An accomplished keyboard player, Chapman waxes sentimental about the fragility of life and relationships, and on the buoyant strength of the human spirit. Although she is capable of painting indelible images, her slice-of-life tunes, wrapped in jazz-pop arrangements, are overwrought with poetic metaphor and poop out sooner than they should. C+
Beth Nielsen Chapman Chapman, whose songs have been recorded by Willie Nelson, Tanya Tucker, and Highway 101, emerges on her Nashville debut, Beth Nielsen ChapmanBeth Nielsen ChapmanCountry Chapman, whose songs have been recorded by Willie Nelson, Tanya Tucker, and Highway 101, emerges on her Nashville debut, Beth Nielsen Chapman1991-01-18
Genre: Country; Lead Performer: Beth Nielsen Chapman; Status: In Season
Posted January 18 1991 — 12:00 AM EST
- Look, but don't retouch? Female celeb photo debate
- Margot Robbie's 'Focus' audition, a.k.a. 'the craziest 24 hours of my life'
- 'Focus' is weekend's No. 1 movie; 'Fifty Shades of Grey' drops to No. 4
- 'SNL' react: Your quick take on Dakota Johnson and Alabama Shakes?
- Kanye's new album: 'So Help Me God'
- 'Parks and Rec': On set for the final day
- John Green's 'Alaska' scriptwriters set
- 20 TV series that nailed it with their very first scenes
- 'Last Man on Earth' guys salute inspirations
- 'Empire': New EW cast portraits and behind-the-scenes photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Sizing up the season 20 cast
- 'Parks' 2017: What we embrace/dread in world of tomorrow
- Brad, Lea & Darren, Paul and More!