Chapman, whose songs have been recorded by Willie Nelson, Tanya Tucker, and Highway 101, emerges on her Nashville debut, Beth Nielsen Chapman, as a kind of Carole King for the ’90s, though her voice is more akin to Judy Collins’. An accomplished keyboard player, Chapman waxes sentimental about the fragility of life and relationships, and on the buoyant strength of the human spirit. Although she is capable of painting indelible images, her slice-of-life tunes, wrapped in jazz-pop arrangements, are overwrought with poetic metaphor and poop out sooner than they should. C+
Beth Nielsen Chapman Chapman, whose songs have been recorded by Willie Nelson, Tanya Tucker, and Highway 101, emerges on her Nashville debut, Beth Nielsen ChapmanBeth Nielsen ChapmanCountry Chapman, whose songs have been recorded by Willie Nelson, Tanya Tucker, and Highway 101, emerges on her Nashville debut, Beth Nielsen Chapman1991-01-18
Genre: Country; Lead Performer: Beth Nielsen Chapman
Posted January 18 1991 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Star Wars: Aftermath': Finding Han Solo for a quick galactic run
- Kanye West sends Taylor Swift flowers after the 2015 VMAs
- Aretha Franklin blocks Telluride screening of 'Amazing Grace'
- Hear Charlie Puth cover Drake's 'Hotline Bling' with Kehlani
- Check out the thrilling 'Arrow' season 4 trailer
- Mr. Bean's 25th anniversary marked outside Buckingham Palace
- Joan Rivers remembered by daughter Melissa in touching tribute
- Force Friday: See Hasbro's 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- Johnny Depp, Gabrielle Union, Karlie Kloss & More!