EPMD talks tough — or, more precisely, raps tough. On the heels of their gold-selling successes — 1988’s Strictly Business and 1989’s Unfinished Business — this third album, Business as Usual, kicks off with ”I’m Mad,” a vicious rant chronicling the group’s not-so- amicable divorce from their former record company. Refusing to turn down the heat, EPMD, which stands for ”Erick (Sermon) and Parrish (Smith) Making Dollars,” takes us on tour through a rough-and-tumble world full of unworthy rap competitors, uneasy romance, and ”pieces of steel” — the guns that serve as metaphors for the power of their lyrics. Their rather limited range of topics may not thrill you — EPMD could make a very clever soundtrack for any James Bond movie — but their bass-heavy funky beats will. In a time when millions of record buyers think of M.C. Hammer and Vanilla Ice — artists who focus more on dance steps than on rhymes and beats — as typical rappers, EPMD is a welcome relief. A
Business as UsualEPMD talks tough — or, more precisely, raps tough. On the heels of their gold-selling successes — 1988's Strictly Business and 1989's...Business as UsualHip-Hop/RapEPMD talks tough — or, more precisely, raps tough. On the heels of their gold-selling successes — 1988's Strictly Business and 1989's...1991-01-18
Genre: Hip-Hop/Rap; Producer (group): Def Jam, RAL
Posted January 18 1991 — 12:00 AM EST
- One Direction address Zayn Malik's exit: 'It's far from over'
- Jason Alexander to replace Larry David in 'Fish in the Dark' on Broadway
- Former 'Mad Men' stars talk saying goodbye and the 'brilliantly talented' Jon Hamm
- Watch Ed Sheeran surprise a couple on their wedding day
- Pentangle founding member John Renbourn dies at 70
- Taylor Swift is one of the 'World's Greatest Leaders,' according to 'Fortune'
- Box office preview: 'Home' faces off against 'Get Hard'
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- 'Game of Thrones' London premiere: Red carpet style
- Best ‘DWTS’ champ? A (non-scientific) power ranking
- T.I. & Kevin, Jon Hamm, Olivia & Jason and More!