EPMD talks tough — or, more precisely, raps tough. On the heels of their gold-selling successes — 1988’s Strictly Business and 1989’s Unfinished Business — this third album, Business as Usual, kicks off with ”I’m Mad,” a vicious rant chronicling the group’s not-so- amicable divorce from their former record company. Refusing to turn down the heat, EPMD, which stands for ”Erick (Sermon) and Parrish (Smith) Making Dollars,” takes us on tour through a rough-and-tumble world full of unworthy rap competitors, uneasy romance, and ”pieces of steel” — the guns that serve as metaphors for the power of their lyrics. Their rather limited range of topics may not thrill you — EPMD could make a very clever soundtrack for any James Bond movie — but their bass-heavy funky beats will. In a time when millions of record buyers think of M.C. Hammer and Vanilla Ice — artists who focus more on dance steps than on rhymes and beats — as typical rappers, EPMD is a welcome relief. A
Business as UsualEPMD talks tough — or, more precisely, raps tough. On the heels of their gold-selling successes — 1988's Strictly Business and 1989's...Business as UsualHip-Hop/RapEPMD talks tough — or, more precisely, raps tough. On the heels of their gold-selling successes — 1988's Strictly Business and 1989's...1991-01-18
Genre: Hip-Hop/Rap; Producer (group): Def Jam, RAL
Posted January 18 1991 — 12:00 AM EST
- VMAs ratings drop with Miley Cyrus
- Nicholas Hoult will play J.D. Salinger in a new biopic
- Stephen Amell says he'll go for Prime Minister if Kanye West runs for president
- 'SNL': See brand new footage from 'Hobbit Office' starring Martin Freeman
- Kanye as VMAs host in 2016? Not so fast
- Emmys secret ballot: How will Hollywood vote?
- This is what stars looked like at their first VMAs
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Reese Witherspoon, Aziz Ansari, Brooks & Julianne and More!