EPMD talks tough — or, more precisely, raps tough. On the heels of their gold-selling successes — 1988’s Strictly Business and 1989’s Unfinished Business — this third album, Business as Usual, kicks off with ”I’m Mad,” a vicious rant chronicling the group’s not-so- amicable divorce from their former record company. Refusing to turn down the heat, EPMD, which stands for ”Erick (Sermon) and Parrish (Smith) Making Dollars,” takes us on tour through a rough-and-tumble world full of unworthy rap competitors, uneasy romance, and ”pieces of steel” — the guns that serve as metaphors for the power of their lyrics. Their rather limited range of topics may not thrill you — EPMD could make a very clever soundtrack for any James Bond movie — but their bass-heavy funky beats will. In a time when millions of record buyers think of M.C. Hammer and Vanilla Ice — artists who focus more on dance steps than on rhymes and beats — as typical rappers, EPMD is a welcome relief. A
Business as UsualEPMD talks tough — or, more precisely, raps tough. On the heels of their gold-selling successes — 1988's Strictly Business and 1989's...Business as UsualHip-Hop/RapEPMD talks tough — or, more precisely, raps tough. On the heels of their gold-selling successes — 1988's Strictly Business and 1989's...1991-01-18
Genre: Hip-Hop/Rap; Producer (group): Def Jam, RAL
Posted January 18 1991 — 12:00 AM EST
- Kelly Rowland at Essence Fest previews BET series to find next great girl group
- The Nathan's Hot Dog Eating contest crowned a new champion on July 4
- Michael Douglas' mother dies at 92
- Hello Kitty movie targeted for 2019
- 'Suicide Squad' on-set photo: Harley Quinn birthday cake for Margot Robbie
- Caitlyn Jenner 'proud to be an American'
- Lil Wayne: 'Free Weezy Album' on Tidal
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Garcelle Beauvais, Kylie Jenner, Serena Williams & More!