As one of Nashville’s top session musicians since 1984, 29-year-old O’Connor has played fiddle, mandolin, and guitar on hundreds of records, providing everything from routine backup work for such performers as Lacy J. Dalton and Randy Travis to showcase fiddling on the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band’s Will the Circle Be Unbroken, Volume Two. Before moving to Tennessee from Washington state, O’Connor reigned supreme on the national fiddle championship circuit, beating out both adults and youngsters for nearly a decade, starting at age 11. The Championship Years, of 40 early live concert performances (1975-84) traces the evolution of his soulful style with traditional fiddle tunes, including fast-paced breakdowns, waltzes, rags, and polkas. Although collections of this sort are inherently repetitive, the songs are also liquid and lively, a toe-tappers’ dream. B-
The Championship Years As one of Nashville's top session musicians since 1984, 29-year-old O'Connor has played fiddle, mandolin, and guitar on hundreds of records,...The Championship YearsCountry As one of Nashville's top session musicians since 1984, 29-year-old O'Connor has played fiddle, mandolin, and guitar on hundreds of records,...1991-01-18
Genre: Country; Lead Performer: Mark O'Connor
Posted January 18 1991 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Chicago Med' has two new showrunners
- Fox changes name of its new series 'The Frankenstein Code'
- Chaka Khan set for 'Dancing With the Stars'
- Why Wayne Brady freaked out at the chance to play drag queen Lola in 'Kinky Boots'
- 'American Dad!' renewed for two seasons
- Nicki Minaj will open the MTV VMAs on Sunday
- Miley Cyrus addresses Nicki Minaj's VMAs comments in new interview
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Miley Cyrus, Taylor & Selena, The Voice Crew & More!