As one of Nashville’s top session musicians since 1984, 29-year-old O’Connor has played fiddle, mandolin, and guitar on hundreds of records, providing everything from routine backup work for such performers as Lacy J. Dalton and Randy Travis to showcase fiddling on the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band’s Will the Circle Be Unbroken, Volume Two. Before moving to Tennessee from Washington state, O’Connor reigned supreme on the national fiddle championship circuit, beating out both adults and youngsters for nearly a decade, starting at age 11. The Championship Years, of 40 early live concert performances (1975-84) traces the evolution of his soulful style with traditional fiddle tunes, including fast-paced breakdowns, waltzes, rags, and polkas. Although collections of this sort are inherently repetitive, the songs are also liquid and lively, a toe-tappers’ dream. B-
The Championship Years As one of Nashville's top session musicians since 1984, 29-year-old O'Connor has played fiddle, mandolin, and guitar on hundreds of records,...The Championship YearsCountry As one of Nashville's top session musicians since 1984, 29-year-old O'Connor has played fiddle, mandolin, and guitar on hundreds of records,...1991-01-18
Genre: Country; Lead Performer: Mark O'Connor
Posted January 18 1991 — 12:00 AM EST
- Casting Net: James Marsden, Rosario Dawson, more lend voices to 'Henchmen'
- Bruce Jenner in photo shoot as woman
- Judy Greer and Nat Faxon preview 'Married' season 2
- Universal TV to adapt 'The Wicked + The Divine' comic for TV
- Emma Stone as an Asian-American in 'Aloha': Who's buying it?
- Iggy Azalea cancels Great Escape Tour
- Marvel contest gives teen girls the chance to attend 'Ant-Man' premiere
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 12 best festivals
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 12 biggest albums
- TV Season Finale Awards: YOUR 2015 winners are...
- Chris Pratt makes a splash: EW Summer Must List photos
- Bill Paxton reminisces about 15 key roles
- Cruel Intentions Reunion, Kim Kardashian, Soleil & Demi and More!