All over the country, aging MTV junkies await the day when the Norwegian electropop mimics in a-ha come up with another ditty as miraculous as ”Take On Me,” the go-for-broke plea for a love connection that topped the charts in 1985. Judging from the new album, it looks like fans will have to keep waiting — and as with followers of the long-defunct ABBA (that other Scandinavian act with a palindrome for a name), they may have to wait forever. With titles like ”Crying in the Rain,” ”Cold River,” ”Rolling Thunder,” and ”(Seemingly) Nonstop July,” East of the Sun appears to be a song cycle about the seasons, sort of like the British band XTC’s ”Skylarking” only not half as catchy. Symphonic piano grandeur and alternating blues/metal/flamenco/funk additives collapse beneath the bloated synthesizer slush. On ”Take On Me” Morten Harket’s croon sailed toward the horizon with the abandon of a bright-eyed prep-school grad anticipating great days ahead. But here his unyielding groan suggests something closer to a mid-life crisis. Just what we need: another washed-up art-rock curmudgeon, probably bitter because his hackwork was never taken as seriously as his mom tells him it should have been. D+
East of the Sun, West of the MoonAll over the country, aging MTV junkies await the day when the Norwegian electropop mimics in a-ha come up with another ditty as miraculous as ''Take On...East of the Sun, West of the MoonPopAll over the country, aging MTV junkies await the day when the Norwegian electropop mimics in a-ha come up with another ditty as miraculous as ''Take On...1991-01-18
Genre: Pop; Producer (group): Warner Bros.
Posted January 18 1991 — 12:00 AM EST
- TV legend Norman Lear gives 6 strong opinions about American life
- 'Downton Abbey' cast on saying goodbye: 'We didn't want to leave'
- Zayn Malik congratulates One Direction on their ’sick’ new single
- Dr. Dre's new album, 'Compton,' coming Aug. 7
- 'Ghostbusters' cast surprises patients at Boston children's hospital
- Chris Pratt, James Gunn mark 'Guardians of the Galaxy's one-year anniversary
- Kelly Clarkson crushes cover of Miley Cyrus' ‘Wrecking Ball’
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- FKA Twigs, Adrian Grenier, Bethenny Frankel and More!