All over the country, aging MTV junkies await the day when the Norwegian electropop mimics in a-ha come up with another ditty as miraculous as ”Take On Me,” the go-for-broke plea for a love connection that topped the charts in 1985. Judging from the new album, it looks like fans will have to keep waiting — and as with followers of the long-defunct ABBA (that other Scandinavian act with a palindrome for a name), they may have to wait forever. With titles like ”Crying in the Rain,” ”Cold River,” ”Rolling Thunder,” and ”(Seemingly) Nonstop July,” East of the Sun appears to be a song cycle about the seasons, sort of like the British band XTC’s ”Skylarking” only not half as catchy. Symphonic piano grandeur and alternating blues/metal/flamenco/funk additives collapse beneath the bloated synthesizer slush. On ”Take On Me” Morten Harket’s croon sailed toward the horizon with the abandon of a bright-eyed prep-school grad anticipating great days ahead. But here his unyielding groan suggests something closer to a mid-life crisis. Just what we need: another washed-up art-rock curmudgeon, probably bitter because his hackwork was never taken as seriously as his mom tells him it should have been. D+
East of the Sun, West of the MoonAll over the country, aging MTV junkies await the day when the Norwegian electropop mimics in a-ha come up with another ditty as miraculous as ''Take On...East of the Sun, West of the MoonPopAll over the country, aging MTV junkies await the day when the Norwegian electropop mimics in a-ha come up with another ditty as miraculous as ''Take On...1991-01-18
Genre: Pop; Producer (group): Warner Bros.
Posted January 18 1991 — 12:00 AM EST
- Benicio Del Toro hints again at 'Star Wars: Episode VIII' involvement
- 'Key & Peele' prove Neil deGrasse Tyson can use his brain to get out of anything
- 'Arrow' first look: Check out Diggle's new super suit
- 'House of Cards' actor joins 'Luke Cage' as Cottonmouth
- Anne Hathaway says she's already losing roles to younger actresses
- See Daniel Radcliffe play 'Grand Theft Auto' creator in new movie
- The 'Age of Ultron' gag reel proves the Avengers are only human (well, except Thor)
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- Heidi & Howie, Chris Evans, Kelly Rowland and More!