Question: What’s the quickest way to turn hot celebs into cold stiffs? Answer: Make dolls out of them. Expected to generate big sales this Christmas, celebrity effigies brought little cheer to many of their real-life models. Matchbox’s Cheryl Tiegs, Christie Brinkley, and Beverly Johnson dolls were badly upstaged by Barbie, who did an estimated $700 million in sales in 1990. Johnson insists that having a lifelike plastic image of yourself still has its advantages. Now, she says, ”I don’t have to worry about wrinkles.” On the male side of dolldom, Warren Beatty won’t be cashing in on Steve the Tramp, one of the Playmate-Disney line of Dick Tracy dolls, based on a character in Beatty’s summer fantasy. The doll, described on the packaging as a Fagin-like mistreater of children, sparked a bitter pre-Christmas protest by the Coalition for the Homeless. The group claimed the doll promoted a negative stereotype of homeless people, and Disney pulled it from the market. The season’s most successful celeb dolls were based on pop icons who are themselves manufactured. Atop the Toy Manufacturers of America’s 1990 best- selling toys list were Mattel’s Simpsons dolls and Playmates’ Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
Posted January 18 1991 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': Does Lincoln have a death wish?
- 'The Craft' remake is actually a sequel, producer says
- Blake Shelton, Gwen Stefani will perform new duet on 'The Voice'
- Kendrick Lamar performs with Prince at Paisley Park in unearthed video
- Channing Tatum reveals dream costars in interview with nonverbal fan
- Arnold Schwarzenegger to star in Taran Killam-directed action comedy
- P!nk compares herself to Mad Hatter in 'Alice Through the Looking Glass'
- Met Gala 2016: The Best and Most Outrageous Looks
- Flashback to the 1996 Premiere of 'The Craft'
- 14 TV Cliffhangers and How They Were Resolved
- Met Gala 2016: See All the Arrivals From Manus x Machina
- 'Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt': Before They Were Stars
- 'Wayward Pines' Season 2: Exclusive Photos of the New Main Cast