Jean-Claude Van Damme looks like a cross between Rob Lowe and Arnold Schwarzenegger — he’s a smooth-faced, angelic pretty-boy who kicks butt. He’s also the most physically graceful of the new action heroes: He can leap three feet in the air, kick his enemy in the head, and return to a standing position in the time it takes most people to throw a right hook. Van Damme has no discernible personality, but his gleaming-eyed boyish cool is well used in this likable (if routine) action fable about a French Foreign Legion deserter who journeys to Los Angeles and, in order to support his widowed sister-in- law, becomes a bare-knuckle street fighter. A remake of the 1975 Charles Bronson vehicle Hard Times, Lionheart is nicely shot and edited, and it comes about as close to being a real movie as you get in this genre. In the outstanding climax, Van Damme faces off against a murderous fighter who, with his ponytail and muttonchop sideburns, suggests an extremely well-coiffed baboon. B-
Lionheart Jean-Claude Van Damme looks like a cross between Rob Lowe and Arnold Schwarzenegger — he's a smooth-faced, angelic pretty-boy who kicks butt. He...LionheartDrama, Action/AdventurePT105MR Jean-Claude Van Damme looks like a cross between Rob Lowe and Arnold Schwarzenegger — he's a smooth-faced, angelic pretty-boy who kicks butt. He...1991-01-18Brian ThompsonUniversal
Genre: Drama, Action/Adventure; Starring: Jean-Claude Van Damme, Harrison Page, Ashley Johnson, Brian Thompson; Director: Sheldon Lettich; Runtime (in minutes): 105; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Universal
Posted January 18 1991 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'The Exorcist' cast reveals creepy activity on series set
- 'Edge of Tomorrow 2' is 'a sequel that's a prequel,' director says
- Destiny's Child fans freak out over new official Instagram account
- Preview Stephen King's children's book 'Charlie the Choo-Choo'
- Leslie Odom Jr. performs Sara Bareilles’ powerful election anthem
- 'This Is Us' star Chrissy Metz on Kate's reveal about Jack
- Kid Cudi responds to Drake diss: 'Say it to my face'