Jean-Claude Van Damme looks like a cross between Rob Lowe and Arnold Schwarzenegger — he’s a smooth-faced, angelic pretty-boy who kicks butt. He’s also the most physically graceful of the new action heroes: He can leap three feet in the air, kick his enemy in the head, and return to a standing position in the time it takes most people to throw a right hook. Van Damme has no discernible personality, but his gleaming-eyed boyish cool is well used in this likable (if routine) action fable about a French Foreign Legion deserter who journeys to Los Angeles and, in order to support his widowed sister-in- law, becomes a bare-knuckle street fighter. A remake of the 1975 Charles Bronson vehicle Hard Times, Lionheart is nicely shot and edited, and it comes about as close to being a real movie as you get in this genre. In the outstanding climax, Van Damme faces off against a murderous fighter who, with his ponytail and muttonchop sideburns, suggests an extremely well-coiffed baboon. B-
Lionheart Jean-Claude Van Damme looks like a cross between Rob Lowe and Arnold Schwarzenegger — he's a smooth-faced, angelic pretty-boy who kicks butt. He...LionheartDrama, Action/AdventurePT105MR Jean-Claude Van Damme looks like a cross between Rob Lowe and Arnold Schwarzenegger — he's a smooth-faced, angelic pretty-boy who kicks butt. He...1991-01-18Brian ThompsonUniversal
Genre: Drama, Action/Adventure; Starring: Jean-Claude Van Damme, Harrison Page, Ashley Johnson, Brian Thompson; Director: Sheldon Lettich; Runtime (in minutes): 105; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Universal
Posted January 18 1991 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Scream' postmortem: The killer speaks out!
- 'Scream' postmortem: The killer revealed! What's next?
- Fox News anchor Harris Faulkner sues Hasbro over same-named toy hamster
- Casting Net: Scott Eastwood set to become action star in 'Overdrive'
- 'Scream' honors Wes Craven during finale
- Ellen Page says her 'Freeheld' role inspired her to come out
- 'Brides of Dracula' series from 'Arrow' producer gets NBC pilot commitment
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Victoria Justice, Andrew & Laura, Rihanna and More!