A childhood friend of Ornette Coleman’s in Fort Worth, Dewey Redman came to New York in 1967 to join Coleman’s quartet and has been associated with his style of free jazz ever since. His solos have a similarly wily recklessness, but they are made warmer by his more traditional approach to pitch and the fact that he plays tenor sax instead of alto. On the diverse and new album, Living on the Edge, Redman also brings out his rarely heard alto for two numbers associated with the ’50s, and it’s bright and agile, suggesting Charlie Parker and Lee Konitz as much as Coleman. The album leans toward Coleman’s free style at first, but continues with a blues number, a ballad, and a jazz standard. Just about all of it works. And if you still haven’t heard pianist Geri Allen, here is an ideal showcase. Her solo on ”Blues for J.A.M. — Part 1” is wittily authentic down-in-the-alley stuff, her bop filigree on ”Lazy Bird” or her rolling phrases and splayed chords on the Colemanesque ”Boo Boodoop” cannily inventive. A-
Living On the EdgeA childhood friend of Ornette Coleman's in Fort Worth, Dewey Redman came to New York in 1967 to join Coleman's quartet and has been associated with his...Living On the EdgeJazzA childhood friend of Ornette Coleman's in Fort Worth, Dewey Redman came to New York in 1967 to join Coleman's quartet and has been associated with his...1991-01-18Geri Allen
Genre: Jazz; Lead Performer: Dewey Redman; Performers: Geri Allen; Producer (group): Black Saint
Posted January 18 1991 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Orphan Black' creator on that crazy, twerktastic episode: 'It was an important one for us'
- 'Orphan Black': Dylan Bruce on Paul's big moment
- Ryan Reynolds makes young fan's dream come true on 'Deadpool' set
- And the winner of the 2015 Eurovision Song Contest is...
- Stanley Kubrick's 'The Shining' at 35: Horror director Ted Geoghegan pays tribute
- Sting and Jimmy Fallon take 'Roxanne' to barbershop
- 'Mad Max' gets the 'Mario Kart' mashup it deserves
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Karina Smirnoff, Zachary Quinto, Taylor Swift & More!