Michael Hashim, a young altoist best known for his ravishing Johnny Hodges-inspired alto sax solos with the Widespread Depression Orchestra, had a smart idea for Lotus Blossom, his recording debut as the leader of his own band. The album, subtitled The Billy Strayhorn Project, consists entirely of music by the man who served as Duke Ellington’s full-time collaborator for 28 years. Hashim ignores Strayhorn’s best-known tunes in favor of tantalizing ballads and swingers that were rarely performed outside the Ellington fold. The Hodges influence is apparent, but no longer dominant: On ”The Intimacy of the Blues” Hashim is as much in thrall to the R&B virtuoso Earl Bostic. As great as the songs are, the sequence suffers from the sameness of grouping together three numbers on soprano sax (two of them, ”Something to Live For” and ”Johnny Come Lately,” listed in reverse order), an instrument on which Hashim is somewhat less persuasive. B+
Lotus BlossomMichael Hashim, a young altoist best known for his ravishing Johnny Hodges-inspired alto sax solos with the Widespread Depression Orchestra, had a smart...Lotus BlossomJazzBilly StrayhornMichael Hashim, a young altoist best known for his ravishing Johnny Hodges-inspired alto sax solos with the Widespread Depression Orchestra, had a smart...1991-01-18
Genre: Jazz; Author: Billy Strayhorn; Producer (group): Stash
Posted January 18 1991 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Star Wars: Aftermath' introduces a gay hero to the galaxy
- 'Castle' books 'The O.C.' star in season 8
- 'Big Brother' host Julie Chen calls eviction 'ridiculous and dumb'; says Steve 'chickened out'
- Caitlyn Jenner explains how her views on marriage equality have evolved
- Ed Burns was super nervous his first day working with Tom Hanks on 'Saving Private Ryan'
- Blue Ivy dedicates Disney favorite to mom Beyoncé on her birthday
- Spoiler Room: Scoop on 'Grey's Anatomy,' 'Murder,' 'Scandal' & more
- Force Friday: See Hasbro's 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- Johnny Depp, Gabrielle Union, Karlie Kloss & More!